My Nephew's first flashlight. *56k and slow DSL warning*

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's turning 3 soon and he loves my lights and plays with the beams on the ceilings. He searches for the switch to turn them off and on and ends up taking them apart if I dont watch him.

He's broken one Minimag so far so I wanted to get him his own light that he cant take apart (for a while). I also worried that he'd just leave the light on and scamper away running the batteries down. I happened across this light used at a thrift store for $.99 cents. It has a red and green filter and dims to off if not handled for 10 seconds. I'm thinking of dropping in a PR base SMJLED from lambda in there making it the brightest, longest lasting light in my sister's house and it'd be the 3-year old's light. (brings a smile to my face just thinkin about it).

anyway it takes 2xC batteries that are accessed with the bulb on a carrier that is held in by a clever captive screw that you can't lose. Even better because my sister is stupid and would lose the screw the instant she tried to change the batteries.

cimg14615jq.jpg

cimg14674zj.jpg

cimg14692ih.jpg

cimg14708xi.jpg

Just thought i'd share.

Last edited:

jwl

Enlightened
Re: My Nephew's first flashlight.

Man does that bring back memories. My kids used to have one, wonder if it is still around? That would be cool for my niece since she will be 2 by Christmas. Share you thoughts and pics if you do mod this light.

All three of my kids got moved up to 2D Mags (found them for $4.22 ea at Target) and now I'm waiting on a PR based SMJLED to try in one of their lights. If it's good enough then the other two will get them also.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cool idea, Very cool light! but come on, WE NEED BEAM SHOTS! :laughing:
throw in the smjled and your going to get him on the road to being a flashaholic in no time!

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened

Haha I had the same light when I was a kid too.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast

The beam is just about the most hiddeous thing you've ever seen. It almost looks like a skull if you squint. Anyway as requsted.. (damn I'm bored.)

cimg14764mk.jpg

cimg14749qy.jpg

cimg14779bp.jpg

heres that battery carrier.

Now with the SMJLED PR bulb!
cimg14795yd.jpg

cimg14818tl.jpg

Something I noticed while playing around with the SMJLED bulb in this light is that it took far longer than the 10 seconds to fade to off. It fades but still puts out some useful light for minutes after the incan completely fades off. I like this light very much. What a great feature to have with any light!

Check out this video and you'll see what I mean. The video is quite large and putfile is kinda slow so nevermind if you have anything but the fastest Cable internet.

VIDEO (putfile deleted it for some reason) Inactivity probably.

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if we can get a run of textured titanium reflectors made for it, getting the beam smoothed out a little bit..

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you figure they made this light fade to off? It takes about 30 seconds with incan bulb but 10 minutes with the led to turn completely off so it can't be a timer.

I thought it might be some kind of capacitor but it continues to fade even if you turn it off and back on. It's a mystery to me.

Any thoughts?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Open one up in the name of science! That fading would be nice in non tactical aplications. 10 minutes on led, wow!

AlexGT

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
the last 5 minutes of that 10 minutes is so dim as to not throw a beam. You can look inside the led and count the threads... there are 4 BTW.

greenLED

Flashaholic
We had one when we were kids; my son now has one, although he's recently gotten a liking for one of my minimag Nite-Ize LED drop-in.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful, he'll have it disassembled in the time it takes you to look away for a second. That's what happened to me, or rather to my minimagAA.:huh:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son has a similar light that is shaped like a tiger and it roars when you flip it on it goes out after a few seconds though (timer) The beam was also hideous so I put a white diffuse lens to make a good soft close up light.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can't be a timer because with the led bulb it takes many miutes to go out. The beam is also 1000% better as you can see in the shots above. I'm very pleased with it and am using it now
!:dedhorse: