Just wondering

niewia

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I've been reading for a long time... and here goes my first question.

I was wondering... and I could be wrong, but wouldn't it be possible to replace the KTP crystal inside a green laser pointer with an LBO, BBO or BIBO crystal and have it output blue instead of green ?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there would be a bit more to it than just that. The 808nm pump diode I think is the same wavelength. The primary um from the YLF is 1064nm, the secondary is MUCH less power, and I dont know the frequency. FWIR the dominant wavelength has to be supressed so the secondary can be used to double. So there may be an additional filter involved. Also FWIR, the tuning and polorization is way more critical.

may be wrong, but this is what I have pieced together.

Jeff

Athoul

Enlightened
In a Blue DPSS laser using an LBO crystal, the pump diode is not 808nm, but is instead 946nm. The LBO doubles the frequency to 473nm. I'm not 100% sure atm about the BBO or BIBO crystals, but I believe they use a similar pump diode as the LBO.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Athoul, by what you said the LBO is injected directally by the LD?? cool.. Mabyee it was a yello pointer that used the secondary harmonic from the YLF.
EITHER way, Green to Blue modding cannot be done.

Jeff