Can I put an L2 head on a L4 body?

SCblur

Enlightened
When I put my L2 head on my L4 body, it lights up okay, making in essence a direct drive LuxV. However, is this bad for the LED head at all? I don't see why I would actually do this in real world use, I was just curious.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a good idea. The L4 electronics are in the head. The L2 circuitry is in the body. If you put an L2 head on an L4 body, you have no circuitry. No advantage in use, and you might damage the L2 head.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The L2 head will run fine on 2x123. It will be underdriven on 2x123 but it will not hurt the L2 head or the Luxeon.

I don't recommend using 3x123 or 2xR123. It would be very bright, but there have been two CPF members that have fried the Luxeon in a L2 head by using two rechargeable 123s (2xR123) in E2L bodies.

There was a batch of E2L lights that were released by mistake with L2 heads. These were refered to as "E2L Error" lights.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the E2L body is the same as the L4 body except for the writing on the body.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Flash_Gordon said:
Not a good idea. The L2 electronics are in the head. The L4 circuitry is in the body. If you put an L2 head on an L4, you have two circuits fighting. No advantage in use, and you might damage one or both.

Mark

The L2 circuit is in the body.

The L4 circuit is in the head.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no circuitry in the L4 body...

Edit - Hoghead beat me there ;) Just a flip-flop is all, though..

SCblur

Enlightened
Hoghead said:
The L2 head will run fine on 2x123. It will be underdriven on 2x123 but it will not hurt the L2 head or the Luxeon.

I thought that was probably the case. Again, not that I'd waste a perfectly good LuxV by direct-driving it, but I wonder what the runtime to 50% would be in this scenario.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The L2 head on a E2L body ("E2L Error" 5 watt) driven with 2x123 is between level 3 & level 4 on a U2. The "E2L Error" is a little brighter than the L2 on low.

I don't know the runtime, but compared to a U2 on level 4 & a L2 on low I would guess that the runtime should be pretty good.