CR123 Tube on Fenix L1T??

ront

Newly Enlightened
I know this has been asked, but I cannot find where it has ever been answered. I am just wondering if the CR123 tube, purchased from 4sevens and used with the L2P head will work with the L1T head?

Thanks for any info. Ron

Last edited:

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Re: CR123 Tube on L1T??

I will let you know ,as of fri I still dont have my l1t. I have a bare Al body 123 nekomane, and will let you know if it works. I want to try a 3 v primary and see as well as a 3.7 lion.Hopefully it will arrive tommorow.
There are some posts,if you search l1t and go to last page.

ront

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my L1T today. I have all the parts, but I am just a bit leary to try it without confirmation that it is OK:).

Thanks, Ron

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried it and posted the result on one of the L1T or other threads. I'll see if I can find it.

In short, the threads are not long enough to reach the "High" contact on the PCB inside the head. Even though the threads are anodized, I seemed to get enough contact for low to work once I threaded it in almost all the way. So if all you need is 'some' light out of your CR123, then it will work fine. No screaming bright though, like I hear you get with a 14500 in the L1T.

Here is one

Last edited:

onthebeam

Enlightened
Same with the Nekomane/4sevens CR2 tube for the L1T. It only works on low. Bummer. . .

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
onthebeam said:
Same with the Nekomane/4sevens CR2 tube for the L1T. It only works on low. Bummer. . .

I tested both cr2 and cr123 bodies and they both work for HIGH only
for l1t/l2t. I took a super fine wire brush attachment to my dremel and
removed the type 2 annodization and now it works wiht both stages!

Also, folks, please keep in mind that you should use protected rcr123 and
rcr2's ONLY unless you plan on using your li-ion cells ONCE. These
heads will drain it past safe levels and kill your li-ion! Trust me
I know from experience with the l2p heads :D

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
WOW Thats great news! I was hoping that would work! So what about the suposed thread height difference? Does it matter what battery was used,alk,nimh,lion?Anyone else have success?

Longbow

Enlightened
Also remember that no HAIII on threads means LOWER THREAD LIFE!
The L2P head on a Nekomane CR123 tube is still a five star light, even though it has only one level!

onthebeam

Enlightened
4sevens said:
I tested both cr2 and cr123 bodies and they both work for HIGH only
for l1t/l2t. I took a super fine wire brush attachment to my dremel and
removed the type 2 annodization and now it works wiht both stages!

Also, folks, please keep in mind that you should use protected rcr123 and
rcr2's ONLY unless you plan on using your li-ion cells ONCE. These
heads will drain it past safe levels and kill your li-ion! Trust me
I know from experience with the l2p heads :D

Funny, for me, with the L1T and CR2 Nekomane/4sevens body, it only works on low.

David, can you try your same Dremel technique with the CR2 body and let us know if you have the same success?? From your post above, I'm assuming you've only gotten it to work so far with the CR123 body. Is that correct?

Keeping our fingers crossed. . .

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I only got low on my 123 nekomane body,its bare Al, so i dont know if dremal wire brush is a sure cure,it might come down to variations in length of the tube.I tried it both ways.BTW I used a surefire battery.Maybe that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I even treid a rcr 123, and tried trimming the bottom plastic on a 123 primary ,no difference.Only low works. I guess ill try to wire brush my l2 body at least I will have a l1 and l2 ,2 stage if that will work. I was hoping to be able to interchange them all. Mine doesnt seem WAY brighter on 14500. Its noticible but not night and day. Still not a bad light,nice size and great runtimes on low.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Can you clarify,and do you have a way to fix/adjust it so high will work?

Kryosphinx
If it only works on low, then I the bottom of the L1T can (which provides the high mode connection) isn't touching the Nekomane tube

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul6ppc said:
Can you clarify,and do you have a way to fix/adjust it so high will work?

Kryosphinx
If it only works on low, then I the bottom of the L1T can (which provides the high mode connection) isn't touching the Nekomane tube

You might be able to put a snap ring in there up against the module. Then the tube will contact the split ring then the module. This might result in poor electrical contact though.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves..

dsc03719lm.jpg

dsc03728mw.jpg

dsc03783rt.jpg

dsc03761on.jpg

dsc03757io.jpg

:naughty:
-DF

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I would guess the same added solder wold work using a 14500? It is a bit longerthan a AA. If I add the solder blobs will it work with regular AA still?Thats what it take to make contact and get to high level.So what Im getting is a really bright low?Very interesting.Let me know if Ive got it straight!