Las Vegas / The Shot Show 2002 report.....

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello to all!

Well, here is your Shot 2002 report "live" from Las Vegas, Feb 3, 2002. As a disclaimer, I left Los Angeles at 4am this morning, drove 4 hours, hooked up with Size 15s, walked the show for nine hours straight, and now, I will attempt to write some kind of an informative report.

For the time being, other than the new Surefires, there was no other LUXEON STARs to be found at the show. Some of the manfactures stated that they were working with prototypes, but no samples were seen.

Surefire
Windler / Size 15s will be online in a few hours, so I defer to him. If you haven't already checked out PK's site, it's all there. I'll let Al fill everyone in as to the specifics of the A, L, and the Digtal series; what they are, and how they work. AT THIS TIME, THERE IS NO PRICING NOR IS THERE A DELIVERY DATE quote "six months"

eidted 002/05/2002 at 9pm

Here is the low down on the hottest and newest from the folks at SF. I had hoped that Size 15s was going to do the SF review, as he is many times more knowledgeable on their product line, and would be able to fully describe every little detail.

Digital Series
Common to all the "Digital Series" is the new two position tail cap switch. Light pressure to the switch will activate the low mode; while a full depression of the switch initiates the high mode. Many pages away from the Digital Series section of the catalog, towards the back, a reference is made to the Low Mode: "a subdued, 20 percent level of navigational light.

"A constant level of light output no matter how fresh or old the batteries" is the second feature of the Digital Series according to the catalog.

The third and last feature of the Digital Series is that the microprocessor will reduce the light output to "navigation mode" when the batteries are ready to die. Unlike the "moon mode" in the ARC flashlights, the catalog says "the navigation level of light is 20% of total light level, for approximately 10 minutes." [On another page of the catalog, 15 minutes]

[I guess this third feature only works if you are in the high mode; Size 15 ??

This Digital Series will lend itself quite well for the Li-ion batteries (not shown at Shot 2002)…. One of those items in development

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DigitaltaFusion Series – A2 Aviator
You have seen the pictures… this unit has the same, slim body design as the E series. Imbedded in the reflector are 3 leds which can be ordered in red, white, blue or green. In the center of the reflector, a 60 lumen bulb (MA 02). Type III hard Anodize, Pyrex Lens. All of the features "Digital Series" described above
Not sure if this unit has a lock out tail cap

LUMAMAX L1 and L2
Same as E1/E2 using a LUXEON star.
Type III hard Anodize
Pyrex Lens.
Shock isolated bezel
Lockout Tail Cap ( in "print" and in the pictures)
All of the features "Digital Series" described above

OOPS... Typo error

E1eSG-E1eHA-E2eSG-E2eHA
Two finishes for each of the E series.
The Type II anodizing satin gray finish has a lexan lens
The Type III hard anodized has a pyrex lens
Lockout Tail Cap

M2Digital and C2Digital
Same but with digital series

MAGLIGHT
Don't get excited; no new products

STREAMLIGHT
If you like the ULTRA STINGER, but currently own the STINGER or STINGER XT, you will be pleased as pie because they will be offering a TURBBO HEAD upgrade (head/reflector & bulb) at 40,000cp. Also, they have a "new" charger where as, besides the light, there is an additinal slot for a second battery stick.

Also new from SL is a new 2 LED, "cuffmate" with one LED on the key end, and the second LED on the release end

UNDEWATER KINETICS
Not present at show... no news

PRINCETON TEC
Previously reported having been seen at the OUTDOOR SHOW, they showed a new 3 LED headlamp (kinda like the Pitzl Tikka). This light is much much brighter than the ATTITUTDE. This lamp is micro processor controlled so it has low setting/200 hours (equal to ATTITUDE), a high setting/20 hours, strobe etc

The SURGE was discussed at lenght... using lithiums AA is being "worked on". In case anyone is interested, the SURGE is 7.5 watts and in a side by side comparison, matched or exceeded Size 15's M2 with P61 bulb.

PELICAN
They indicated that their marketing strategy how now changed. In the past, I believe all of their previous offerings were waterproof . Now, they intend to maunfacture lights that are more "task" spedific. As an example, their newest light is the M5 (2 x123 Lithium like the Surefire 6P). Fixed focus, and IMHO easlily on par with the 6P for $10-15 less (only water resistant)... very very nice styling

Those familiar with Pelikan know of their prowness with water proof cases. They soon will augment their line with Otter box style cases; meaning "cigar box size or smaller" size cases, translucent cases, Pelikan quality materials , rubber inserts and automatic pressure valves.

LSI - KOEHLER - BRIGHTSTAR
Well, if they guys aren't "owned" by PELIKAN pending the lawsuit over patent in-fringement, they have several new noteworthy lights. In the 4AA category, I think they have a winner. Built like a tank, but not any bigger than the PT 40. "Supposedly" the only light in its class that will withstand a drop from 30 feet on to concrete (federal osha blah blah blah). Of special interest is that is has a custom PR base zenon bulb. In a crunch, any 6volt bukb will do. This thing has a tail momentary/on switch and reminds me of the TEC 40 on hormones combined with the SURGE optics/output. Manf claims 4 1/2 hours using lithiums.

Some general info... in the past, all 123 batteries were either made in USA or JAPAN.
Now the third largest battery manufacture in world is in CHINA. The word is they make battereis for EVERYONE... FUJI, MINOLTA need I say more?

CC CRANE TEKTITE
CC crane has exclusive rights to market "regular lights". The Tektite lights are "military spec" or divelights. Translation: extra o-rings, greater depth ratings. Now, all lights will have a fresnel style lens that will help "focus"

This 40 and 60 leds dive lights are very nice, but NOT ANYWHERE near as bright as the LIGHT CANNON

INNOVA 5X
. LS proto was "not as good" product as compared to the current 5 leds version ... too short of runtime
. Innova 5x has RESISTOR, no other circuitry
. mfg calims 15 years experience in the manufacture, design and development of LEDS and stated that leds are not overdriven at 55ma because the +p(?) plate does not exceed 87 deg C. Mfg stated that the degradatrion of any LED is the resultant heat of excessive electical current not the current itself. (common misconception throught out the industry, did you know that ???) Using an extreamly efficient heat sink, they are able to drive LED at 55-60ma without harm
. stainless steel... only two in existance and no more will be make... very very heavy
. NEW MODEL (4WEEKS) will have tactitical pushbutton/twist on (just like Surefire sans lock out) IMHO much much nicer and takes care of the problem of different length batteries and flickering

VERSALIGHT
This new guy on the block will probably have the greatest impact on the Flashlights Industry since the Maglight was introduced years ago.

What is this marvel you might ask? A MAGLIGHT with LEDS build into the tail end... Have and your cake, and eat it too. IMO much better fit and finish than MAG, Krypton bulb standard, nicer beam too.

Lastly, this start up company only did 1 billion dollars in sales last year; they are the world's largest manufacture and distributor of sport fitness equiptment ie Nordic Track, ProForm, Reebok, Goldls Gym. Needless to say, they know a litle about marketing, and what they are offering is based on a proven best seller, now improved.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks,

Now I have to stay up and wait for Al(Windler)...
grin.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dhe maR

You soon will be compeeting with the big boys. Agilent Technology is the parent company of Lumi Leds (or who ever is the company this is supposedely the manufacture ohatf the Luxeon Star. As the story goes, the main limitation of the Luxeon Star IS THE OPTICS.

Well XYZ company optics (you know, the premeir optics company in the USA, the guys that fixed the Hubbel Telescope that JPL screwed up on). They and them are very close to making the incandescants an item for the history books (this insider said maybe as early as next year) THIS WOULD BE A REVOLUTION IN LIGHTING AS WE KNOW IT

GOOD LUCK WIITH YOUR CLEAR RESIN

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
MAGLIGHT
Don't get excited; no new products

What....not even a new shade of anodising?
grin.gif

Seriously- thanks for the update! Sounds like 2002 is going to be an exciting year in the world of portable illumination. Too bad we`ll have to wait so long for these new Surefire LED offerings. Well....what with the current price hikes, it`ll give me just sufficient time to save enough to buy one! and who knows what`ll come along between now and then?

BTW did you see anyone else there besides Surefire that were offering a HID light? (I assume the Beast was there to be gorped at). There`s a technology that`s got potential....

tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel,

I heard that Welch Allyn will come up with 20W HID with lower price than the current 10W HID this year. You might want to check them out.

Alan

Jonathan

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Thanks! but what about 35 watts? I can buy a motorcycle retro kit for $355.00, see my posting at the HID topic I just started. Would be the same as 250 watts of halogen lighting, anybody care to translate that into lumens?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 35 watt HID system will put out somewhere between 2500 and 3000 lumen, which would equate to the equivalent of 80 and 150 watt of best efficiency tungsten halogen (the 80 comes from presuming a _very_ efficient 30 lumen/watt halogen, the 150 from comparing 3000 lumen with a medium 20 lumen/watt halogen). The 35 watt system will draw a total of 40 watts of power, once you include ballast losses.

A useful comment on the Surfire HID system:
Comments on Surfire HID posted to Bikecurrent

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
PRINCETON TEC
The SURGE was discussed at lenght... using lithiums AA is being "worked on". In case anyone is interested, the SURGE is 7.5 watts and in a side by side comparison, matched or exceeded Size 15's M2 with P61 bulb.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do tell more about the Surge! Are they talking about putting a regulator in there? How about extending the "brightness curve" (keeping it brighter longer?

Are they working on a "surge two?" (whatever that may be, I just made it up, but I like the surge soo much, I would like to see a surge two!)

Thanks for the reports!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
Hello to all!

STREAMLIGHT

Also new from SL is a new 2 LED, "cuffmate" with one LED on the key end, and the second LED on the release end

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an improvement! The first versions had the LED on the wrong end... And rather than just move it to the right end, they just added another... Smart move.

What? Maglight didn't introduce a colored rubber switch?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you like the ULTRA STINGER, but currently own the STINGER or STINGER XT, you will be pleased as pie because they will be offering a TURBBO HEAD upgrade (head/reflector & bulb) at 40,000cp. Also, they have a "new" charger where as, besides the light, there is an additinal slot for a second battery stick.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't wait for the *baby Ultra* upgrade from stingers. Does the new charger support the original Ultra?

Alan

Bucky

Enlightened
Thanks Mr Ted Bear.

Do you think you could quickly compare the size of the Digital lights and the A2 to current SureFire lights so that we have a good idea of how large they are? I know you said the A2 has the same Executive style small body, but how long is it?

Thanks again,

Bucky

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>INNOVA 5X
. Innova 5x has RESISTOR, no other circuitry
...stated that leds are not overdriven at 55ma because the +p(?) plate does not exceed 87 deg C. ...Using an extreamly efficient heat sink, they are able to drive LED at 55-60ma without harm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for getting this out of Innova! They effectively ignored my e-mails asking this same question.

BTW... I don't know how they could claim that the LEDs aren't ovedriven at 55mA...they ARE overdriven, apparently they're just heatsinked well enough (?) to counteract the effects of being overdriven (heat buildup and damage)...

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice light and I like it, I just wish that the information they provide was a bit more clear/accurate.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the new charger does support the "old". Depending on your desired config you might need to buy a new wall transformer.

The rep was explaning that one could set it up so that the flashlight cradle could be a 90 minute fast charge, and the second slot for spare battery would be overnight charger.

OR.. both the flashligt and the spare charger would be "overnight". In the first case, you would need the new cradle and a new transformer (rapid charge). If you had both "overnight" you would only then need the new cradel

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Shot 2002 report ...

Surefire
... AT THIS TIME, THERE IS NO PRICING NOR IS THERE A DELIVERY DATE

... LUMAMAX L1 and L2
Same as E1/E2 ... Shock isolated bezel
... E3eHA
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ted, thanks.
So, there is an E3e - it exists !!
(At least as far as to be shown at the show)

And you say the L1/2 have shock-isolation - is this in the same sized bezel as the E2 ??

lightlover
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
confused.gif
smile.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jahn,

saw that too - reading it in the context I think its a typo - unfortunately

Klaus

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the new charger does support the "old". Depending on your desired config you might need to buy a new wall transformer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does the "old" refer to UltraStinger or only Stinger? I'm expecting new fast charger for Ultra.

TIA.

Alan