Streamlight Scorpion and "orange peel" reflectors

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Gayalhans picking up my very first Legend LX, Hey finaly found one!
grin.gif

Anyway they also had the Streamlight Scorpion for sale for twice the price. I noticed it had a rough surface reflector similar to the LX.

Is this a new feature? What do people think of this light?

Actually the surface on the LX and Scorpion looks more like silver 400 grit sandpaper.

I haven't heard much about the Scorpion on the forum but I know you can get it mail order for about $5 more than if you mail ordered the LX. It seems to be a better quality flashlight and smaller too. I guess I'm not a real flashaholic since I didn't buy both, but I'm saving my $ for an E2e. Anyway what do you all think of this light?

Also I noticed the Petzl Saxo Aqua
small-01222.gif
has a "hammered finish" reflector, the only petzl that does. Maybe the other manufacturers are finaly starting to come around. Yea
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"sand-paper" finish makes the beam VERY smooth(no rings, spots, etc...)

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scorpion is a very good lite and has its pros and cons

Pros
- very smooth and bright beam
- has spare lamp built-in behind the reflector (this is only lite I know that has spare bulb AND tailcap switch
- clickable tailswitch
- spare lamp is cheap
- adjustable focus (I don't use this feature much)

Cons
- while its rubber grip is good to hold but create too much friction in your pocket or holster.
- no cap lock (we are all spoiled
tongue.gif
)
- doesn't look as cool as Sure Fire (subjective view)

There's not much talk about the lite and I guess it is because it has been around for quite sometimes. Scorpion has always been with sand-paper-like reflecter as far as I know.

Alan

Empath

Flashaholic
I also noted a change in the reflector of the Pelican MityLite® Magnum 2AA. While I was in Fry's the other day I noticed some of the older stock had a smooth reflector, while the newer ones had an orange-peel reflector. I noticed too that the replacement lamp/reflectors also had orange-peel reflectors. It makes a world of difference in the beam. I've checked online sites that sell reflectors, and haven't seen any mention of which replacement lamp assemblies they have. I may have to order one just to find out.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shining my E2 through a projector lens onto a white wall, I've had a very clear image of the reflector.
Seeing the approx. 22mm, 0.9" diameter magnified 100 times gives you an idea of the surface involved in producing a SF beam.

There isn't a straight line or an edge at all. More than any other universal image that I can think of, it really does look like a denser and more varied in height "Orange Peel" texture.

The enlarged view also shows the filament. You can see the coils glowing, and the tips of the two pylons. There is a dark area, a shadow all around the filament, corresponding to the lamp glass and a small section of the base of the reflector. Then two shadows where the pylons block light to the reflector.

Cute stuff to try out.

lightlover
smile.gif

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
Cons
- while its rubber grip is good to hold but create too much friction in your pocket or holster.
- no cap lock (we are all spoiled
tongue.gif
)
- doesn't look as cool as Sure Fire (subjective view)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't the Scorpion also have less runtime compared to the SF 6P / E2? Something like 15 minutes less? I recall reading something like that on this forum.

Greetings,
Velcro

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Velcro:
Didn't the Scorpion also have less runtime compared to the SF 6P / E2? Something like 15 minutes less? I recall reading something like that on this forum.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only have E2 but not any lite that uses P60/61, so I can't confirm this. For e2, I'm sure that it beats Scorpion in runtime.

Alan

chrhis

Newly Enlightened
- has spare lamp built-in behind the reflector (this is only lite I know that has spare bulb AND tailcap switch NOT IN THE ONE I HAVE.

Scorpion has always been with sand-paper-like reflecter as far as I know. THE LENS ON MINE IS SMOOTH. CRACKED NOW DUE TO HIGH HEAT BUT NICE AND POLISHED SMOOTH.

The light I own is about 8 years old. I have really enjoyed it. Maybe the newer lights have the extra bulb and rough lens.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
- has spare lamp built-in behind the reflector (this is only lite I know that has spare bulb AND tailcap switch
- clickable tailswitch
- adjustable focus (I don't use this feature much)Alan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ASP Triad (originally Taclite) has spare lamp storage built into tailcap. It also has a very nice "clickie" switch.

I gave my Scorpion away for two reasons:

Overly dispersed beam (IMO) plus the focus feature was actually detrimental to the light's function. Its instability and lack of prime focus reliability in a sudden, unexpected situation wasn't acceptable for my use.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
Shining my E2 through a projector lens onto a white wall, I've had a very clear image of the reflector.
lightlover
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lightlover,

That is pretty darned clever. Why didn't I think of that?

What is that projector lens you're using?

Best regards,
Brightnorm

MarcV

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrhis:
- spare bulb AND tailcap switch NOT IN THE ONE I HAVE.

THE LENS ON MINE IS SMOOTH.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. I have two at least that old and one newer. They all have tailswitches. How do you turn yours on? Are you sure it's a Streamlight Scorpion? It thought they always had that switch...

As to smooth vs. rough, the original post referred to the reflector and not to the lens.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
The ASP Triad (originally Taclite) has spare lamp storage built into tailcap. It also has a very nice "clickie" switch.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I recently purchased the Triad. No spare bulb. No claimed lockout tailcap. But does have a very long throw for such a small light. TX

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASP Triad...

Until the Shot Show, I thought that they had only one model TACLITE. Wrong! They actually have 4 (maybe even 5) different models. I am not talking about the different finishes, but they have an external focus, an internal focus, monentary switch only, clickkie on/off, side mounted switch.....

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
ASP Triad...

Until the Shot Show, I thought that they had only one model TACLITE. Wrong! They actually have 4 (maybe even 5) different models. I am not talking about the different finishes, but they have an external focus, an internal focus, monentary switch only, clickkie on/off, side mounted switch.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wasn't aware of that. I did know about the side switch, as that is an option to fit on the baton. I think I saw an offering somewhere for a dual switch, side & end. Still doesn't explain the lockout tailcap that doesn't, unless the got the wrong literature in my package. TX

Gman

Enlightened
Fwiw, I like the Scorpion. Cheap, a good beam (to me at least) and reliable. I set the focus and leave it alone.

I sometimes carry my E2 but Scorpions are cheap (I've seen them for $26 w/o batteries on the Net), and if I lose it no big deal.

Since I carry it in my flight bag I don't have to deal with the pocket retrival issue, although one of our esteemed members here has commented its a hassle in that regard.

I also like the spare bulb. Having said that, I also carry the ARC LS all the time because I like its reliablility.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brightnorm,

I couldn't figure out how could ASP Triad to have spare lamp in tailcap while the tailcap is also a clickie tailswitch???

Alan

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
The spare bulb can be contained in an optional switch assembly. I dont't think that ASP makes a lockout switch for the Triad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The literature says it has a lockout switch, even though mine doesn't work. I called ASP today & the lady went & got one & says it locked out. So I'm sending mine back to find the problem. The switch is so light, I feel this would be a worthwile item to have. TX

EDIT: later--I messed around with the Triad a little more & it does have a lockout. Problem is, it's not as consistant as the SF. Sometimes it's had to get locked out, then sometimes it's hard to get back on.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightlover,
That is pretty darned clever. Why didn't I think of that?
What is that projector lens you're using?

Best regards,
Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brightnorm, you are too kind.
It's just an old projector lens I picked up some time ago. Any lens will do if it's the right type (I forget the optical terminology). They aren't very expensive.

You might have to play around with the positioning of torch and lens a while. But an E2 reflector at 100x magnification is something to behold
shocked.gif

lightlover
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
an E2 reflector at 100x magnification is something to behold

It sure is!

I used the lens out of a dead disco lighting effect, and tried to capture a picture of it. It`s extremely hard to hold the E2 and lens steady and pointing in the right direction, while trying to click a mouse button to capture the still-shot. I ended up attaching the E2 to a microphone stand, but had to hand hold the lens cos I only had the one stand handy (normally I use`em to support lights for my occasional photoshoots). It took about 5 mins to get a decent shot cos I wobbled all over the place.

This is un-retouched or colour corrected. It looks much better in real life.

e2beammagnified.jpg

shocked.gif
tongue.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and this is directly- with the head right up against it, roasting the innards of the lens assembly. that poor camera`ll probably be seeing spots for days!

e2litclose.jpg

(don`t worry, it`s fine- it`s got a good manual mechanical iris, not an electronic type iris)

shocked.gif