Ok guys. Got my TXOH 3W emitter today... Help me install it!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my emitter and the 2-part ArcticSilver thermal adhesive today. I got this to replace the awfully purple-tinted emitter on my G&P 3W drop in. So here we go! First, what tools will I need? I'm pretty sure I'll need a soldering iron. Hopefully I can get a fine point one if it exist. Is there a certain kind of solder agent I should use or will plain ol' solder work?
I noticed on the existing emitter there is this white goop around the base of the emitter where it attatches to the heatsink. Its' also covering up the leads. What do I use to get that gunk off? I also don't see a positive or negative indicators on the emitter. If there is none, do I take that to mean it doesn't matter which lead is going to a given contact? I certainly don't want to blow it up.
The 2 part adhesive, what is the procedure for mixing/using that? I assume that goes on the bottom of the emitter which is then placed on the heatsink where the old emitter was located?
Also, I have some Arctic Silver thermal paste as well as the generic white goo (presumeably silicone based). Which should I use to go around the base of the emitter after its attatched to the heatsink? Do I even need it?

This will be my most difficult mod to date, I'd really like it to be successful! Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert but I do know that:

The emmiter does have a + and a - terminals if you wire it backwards the led will be damaged.

You need to take care of the heat the led will generate,the more current it uses the more heat will be generated.

You need a good solder and a fine tip iron, I found fine tips irons at walmart, be careful with too much heat to the led or it will be damaged,

HTH
AlexGT

shaman

Newly Enlightened
I haven't done it to mine... yet. However I have dropped new emitters in other lights that I have. Keep in mind the ol' cliche "you get what you pay for", it applies to several items listed below. Make sure you read wquiles posts on the BOG drop in mods. Below are some suggestions but you may want to get a couple of opinions just to get in your comfort zone. I am not an electrical engineer, just a self taught techie guy.

TOOLS:
Soldering Iron/station - Gotta have it
solder - Gotta have it
flux - Don't have to have it but makes soldering much easier and controllable
solder sucker or solder wick/braid - Solder sucker will make removing solder much easier but wick/braid will also work (take a bit more time).
emitter - Gotta have it (and you do :)
heatsink compound or epoxy - Gotta have it
possibly some extra tools like (small picks or tweasers, helping hands station, etc)

The white goop is the thermal epoxy put on by the vendor, you have to remove it to get to the soldered emitter leads. Then unsolder the leads (pay close attention to positive and negative of the LED, there is a difference). If you notice on you LED it will have to leads, but one will have a small metal prong with a hole in the center of it (kinda like this [] with a hole in it), that is the positive. Once you unsolder/remove the solder from the existing emitter, you might have to pry it off (due to it may have been epoxied). You can use sunglass screwdrivers (flat head) to help aid this (make sure you go under the emitter so you won't tear up the current one). Once old emitter is removed, just clean the surface. Drop in your new emitter centered with epoxy/compound. Solder leads back to match the original emitters wiring. Might want to add thermal epoxy back on top to prevent shorting due to metal reflect making accidental contact with positive and negative. Let dry. Check then fire it up.

Important points:

Make sure you solder the LED leads correctly to the appropriate wire only.
Make sure you do not solder the LED lead to the wire and the heatsink (short if both positive and negative are soldered to the heatsink) :poof:.
Make sure you put some thermal epoxy/compound on that emitter (emitter likes to be cool, hot emitter could equal :poof:.
Make sure you cover up the solder points since this is a screw on metal reflector (might short positive and negative) :poof:.
Make sure you don't power up the light after removing the current emitter/installing new one (circuit may not like being powered on with no load) :poof:.
Make absolutely sure you are comfortable with the solder joints, placing, and epoxy before turning the light on. You can always undo certain things, but if it blows the emitter/circuit (lack of heatsink, or short) :poof: then it will be back to the drawing board.

Lastly, someone correct me if I have mis-stated something... It has been a crazy day and well my brain is mush :sweat:.

Sincerely,

Shaman

KDOG3 said:
I got my emitter and the 2-part ArcticSilver thermal adhesive today. I got this to replace the awfully purple-tinted emitter on my G&P 3W drop in. So here we go! First, what tools will I need? I'm pretty sure I'll need a soldering iron. Hopefully I can get a fine point one if it exist. Is there a certain kind of solder agent I should use or will plain ol' solder work?
I noticed on the existing emitter there is this white goop around the base of the emitter where it attatches to the heatsink. Its' also covering up the leads. What do I use to get that gunk off? I also don't see a positive or negative indicators on the emitter. If there is none, do I take that to mean it doesn't matter which lead is going to a given contact? I certainly don't want to blow it up.
The 2 part adhesive, what is the procedure for mixing/using that? I assume that goes on the bottom of the emitter which is then placed on the heatsink where the old emitter was located?
Also, I have some Arctic Silver thermal paste as well as the generic white goo (presumeably silicone based). Which should I use to go around the base of the emitter after its attatched to the heatsink? Do I even need it?

This will be my most difficult mod to date, I'd really like it to be successful! Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks! I'm not going to mess with it till the weekend so I have time to take in more suggestions.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
What ratio do I mix the 2-part adhesive?

I always do equal proportions. Stir it up real good then drop a good dab on the bottom of the emitter. Where the metal bottom of the reflector will be touching the heatsink. Don't go crazy as to put a bunch and cause it to squish out all around the sides (making it get on the emitter leads/emitter itself). Once your done soldering you can always put some on top (after the job is done). That way you can protect the heat and the electrical wiring both at once.

Sincerely,

Shaman

MoonRise

Enlightened
AA adhesive is mixed 1:1.

See the instructions here http://www.arcticsilver.com/alumina_adhesive_instructions.asp

Remember that for best thermal performance from the compound, you want the layer of goop to be as thin as possible between the base of the LED and the heatsink. Thin, thin, thin. Thin as in the thickness of a piece of plain paper, or thinner.

Thin layer.

If you need to secure the LED further, then put a bit of AA around the rim of the LED base to hold it in place more.