Tri-Lux suggestions

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm building a 2-D mag for my dad for fathers day, ....well built it already, my first Tri-Lux mod. Using a PTS with 3 UWOJ stars and being direct driven with a 8 x AA adapter on alks. After testing it out I was not really impressed, sure its bright but not screaming. I ran it for about ten minutes and the head didn't even get warm!! So my question is what would be a good converter for this application while still using 8 AA alks (want to keep it simple for my dad) that will have a better output than my current configuration with a decent runtime? I have read so many threads that my head is spinning!!! Any suggestions welcome!!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wired in series? Make sure the stars/slugs are isolated, or you'll have problems.

Amonra

Enlightened
alks will not be able to deliver the required current. you will have to use nimh batts to use it at full potential.

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
luxlunatic,

I was in your exact same position a couple months ago. Tons of posts to wade through while trying to figure out what it all meant. It gets easier.

This is the exact light I first built, wit one exception. I used a Fatman driver.

I am now in the process of building a few other Tri-Lux's. All are C body lights that'll be running on Lithium Ion rechargables. One of them will have a potentiometer too.

Good luck!

MM

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your suggestions all. Out of curiosity, I tested the batts that I was using (Energizer E2 liths, new pack of 8), and 2 of them were bad. .7 and .8 volts, guess I got a few duds, so I replaced them with 2 fresh ones and wow, what a difference! This thing is now what I expected, BRIGHT. Now I am still going to try out a Fatman, should further improve output. What will the Fatman drive the leds at (mA) wired in series?(nevermind, just found info on Fatman)
Again, thanks guys.
Michael.

Last edited: