LED lanterns - looking for the good the bad and the ugly (best/worst)

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
Interested in getting an LED lantern or two for general use and emergency but want to see what are good/bad brands/models. Pros Cons.

Thanks

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then you should be looking/searching in the CPF Spotlights/Lanterns/HID section.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, for the "good" LED lanterns:

Osram Golden Dragon
River Rock 1.5W LED Lantern

—These are pretty much the "top" two, if you will, for LED lantern in their size.

I have the Coleman Micropacker LED Lantern, and is more suited for "personal" up close (really close up) useage. That's all.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had very good success with the Sportsmans Guide lantern since the big power blackout in the Northeast in 2003 I had picked it up the winter before. I have used it in multiple since then also and never been disapointed in it at all.

They now have a brighter 30 LED version with multiple levels, mine is the old 20 LED Model. We gave my inlaws one and my sister one of the 3 sets of smaller lanterns for christmas and they both have liked them.

RIP

Newly Enlightened
DELLED said:
Interested in getting an LED lantern or two for general use and emergency but want to see what are good/bad brands/models. Pros Cons.

Thanks

I have the Garrity http://www.safetycentral.com/galedsmlinil.html (you can find it cheaper locally)
and the Osram Golden Dragon. Both are very good lanterns. The Osram is VERY bright and very small.
The Garrity has a VERY good runtime with 3 brightness levels.

Get both!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Don't forget the little Energizer 4 AA folding lanterns. Find them at Target these days for 6 or 7 bucks.

Geoff

wwglen

Enlightened
I like my Fenix L1P 3 stage with a Fuji 35mm Film cannister as a diffuser. Use it in the tent as a lantern on high and a night lite on low.

Also works on a minimag with a LED drop in in the candle mode and the river rock 2-AAA.

Take a fuji film cannister. Cut a "X" shape into the top of the cannister. You then push the top of the cannister over the light from the TAIL end. when the top gets close to the head of the light you put the rest of the cannister on and you have an instant diffused lantern to hang by the lanyard.

Also no extre (or very little) over what you would already carry.

wwglen

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an emergency lantern I have two LED glowsticks I picked up at a Walmart in Rehoboth Beach, DE a few weeks ago- think they were $1 or $2 each. They look like those chemical glow sticks, come in colors (I got a green and a white) and run off of button cells.

The green one I have is quite bright (the white is dimmer) and has already burned for many hours. I've used it when caching at night; I ID ground zero, mark it with the stick, then begin searching. The bright neon-green glow is visible for long distances. It is bright enough to read by at night and maybe even navigate by if all else fails.