Any idea what is this for...?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Great way to smuggle batteries...just mix them in with your Wrygleys

Actually, I am becoming worried at the many things that are "Gumstick Sized" any day now somone is bound to sue Sony after they try to eat a memory stick...

The batteries appear to have 1400mAh hours as indicated by the large 1400 on them...1400mAh isn't bad either, most NiMh AAAs are about 700 with AAs getting up to 1800+. If so you could make a light where you stacked them in a rectangle box (Not entirely unlike...a pack of gum) and have an awesome, long lasting light! If they made them in a rechargable configuration even better!!

Hmmmm...if you havent guessed by now I have never seen them before but I'm impressed by the posibilities.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
I have a few that I use in a Walkman... The superslim sony kind. They charge as a Double A in my Saitek.

I used to have an AIWA that used a Lead - Acid gumstick battery... Neat Walkman.

--Phil

Saaby

Flashaholic
Cool Walkman. I have one of the new shiny metal Cd-Walkmans and it is extremly thin...but also boasts worlds longest run time on AAs, so your's must be really thin, is it the one with slot loading?? Technically this is still on topic so...

kubolaw

Enlightened
Looks like a gumstick battery for a minidisc player. Note that it's only 1.2V, though. A modder would probably be better served by using one (or more) of the 3.6V 800mAH gumsticks. They're expensive, though (around $25 each for the aftermarket Sabah NiMH version or around $50 for a branded LIon battery). Check out:
http://www.ece.wpi.edu/~pwd/minidisc/portable_power/

John

PS Wow, two recent topics involving MD technology. Who woulda thunk it on a lighting BB.

Xenon

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilAlex:
I have a few that I use in a Walkman... The superslim sony kind. They charge as a Double A in my Saitek.

I used to have an AIWA that used a Lead - Acid gumstick battery... Neat Walkman.

--Phil
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So these are used in Walkmans? How many volts are they anyway. Oops, just check the website and they are pricey! And they have the Photons with sensor chip too?!?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Oh so it's MiniDisc not 3" CD? Well that makes sense I suppose. If they charge like AAs then I am suddenly feeling like I need a use for them
tongue.gif
I'd get them to replace my AAs but that would be pointless!

Probably a cheaper place to get them than Sony's site...have you seen what they charge for 2 AAs in a plastic holder that activates the charge button in their older players? That was one thing I liked about my new player...It would charge any ol' NiCads...then I realized I could finish killing them (Refresh cycle...like to use it since they're NiCads) and charge them faster in my Maha charger.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm- Looks like a bunch that I ripped out of surplus cell-phone packs, except with a fancy paint job.

The ones I got were only 850mah. Only cost about 30 cents each though. They charge in any of my AA batery chargers just fine too, although I have mostly re-assembled them into 3.6V battery packs.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I definitely think that they were made for a super-compact next-generation mobile phone! They would serve well in a torch providing you drove a lorry over it first! (ha ha only joking!!
smile.gif
)
What sort of voltage are they? 1.2V like standard nicads?

Saaby

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Said by Empowertorch:
They would serve well in a torch providing you drove a lorry over it first! (ha ha only joking!! )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize you think American English is odd..but I know what a Boot is, I know what a Bonnet is, I know what tyres are (Who wouldn't) and various others...whats a lorry? Perhaps a steam roller...

What kind of surplus Cell Phone batts? Are you telling me I can pick up those cheap cell phone batteries off eBay and get these out of them! Oh wait, still don't know what I'd use them for...dang!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was in Britain in the 1960s, "lorry" just meant truck.
But I've heard that more recently we Yanks have convinced some Brits to become more sensible and adopt our term for this vehicle
wink.gif
:p
grin.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Glow:

When I lived in England in the 70's one of the few terms I liked better than "Lorry" was "Articulated Lorry". I feel letdown having to say semi-trailer or semi.

Consider that next time you see an articulated lorry on a fly-over.

Saaby

Flashaholic
So a Lory isn't your typical Chevy Silverato but rather the type of truck they keep telling me to be extremly cautious around in Drivers Ed?

Get this one...Volvo makes some of the finest luxury cars, as well as the garbage trucks used on my street! Just seems a little ironic,that's all.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, they are standard 1.2V NiMH batteries- I believe that the industry name for them is *prismatic cell*.

I've bought surplus cell phone batteries from All Electronics, American Science & Surplus and at least one other place- (Maybe Electonics Goldmine??), and they all had these flat cells. The older ones are usually rated 600mah and the newer ones 850mah.

SOME of the cell phone batteries did use cylindrical cells in them, so what you get from eBay may or may not contain these flat cells. But odds are good that they will.