Need Bulb Advice

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone recommend a bulb? Moding a 6 cell D going to use 9 AA's in parallel x2 in series so it will be 13.5 volts with no load and a total of 18 AA's.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
JT:

Since you say 13.5 V I assume you're using alkalines. The Surge approach of going 0.55 mA per AA cell is a nice tradeoff between wattage and run time. You can go a little higher om amperage with accelerating shortening of run time. I'm assuming you wouldn't bother doing this if your flashlight platform weren't able to handle at least 13 watts.

I would look for an efficient Xenon or Halogen bulb with a design voltage around 80% of nominal voltage. (At 0.55 A a fresh AA battery will deliver up to 90% of design voltage and will drop thereafter. Typical 20 hour rated Xenon or Halogen bulbs don't like to be run much more than 10% over design voltage for very long.)

80% of 13.5 = 10.8.

What bulb is close to 10.8 V and 1.1 A?

How about the Carley Xenon #809 T-2 1/2 bulb rated at 10.5 V 1.20 A 12.6 W 25 CP = 309 Lumens? If you don't want Bi-pin have Carley pot this bulb in a ceramic PR base. The wattage is high enough that I wouldn't exceed Carley's specified 1.0 A limit for its #912 PR socket base. (I'm into week four or five of waiting for Carley's quote for potting various bulbs. I thought I'd use this bulb with 9AA NiMH's, but now I fear the voltage drop would be too high.)

With all those batteries and impending voltage drop as used, you should also get a lower voltage bulb to swap in after this setup begins to dim. In this case I'd use a W/A # 01178 T- 2 1/4 rated at 9.0 V and 1.10 A and 244 L. I'd risk putting this bulb into the Carley 912 socket. (I just happen to have extra #01178 bulbs available.)

What will you do as those 1.5 V batteries march down to 0.7 V which seems to be the point below which many CPFers caution that you risk cell leakage? After the #01178 bulb dims how about moving to a Carley # 928 7.1 V Halogen T- 1 1/2 bulb potted in a PR base and rated at 16 CP = 197 Lumens and 25 hours. Don't let this bulb get too dim or you'll below the 0.7 V * 9 =6.3 V threshold.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux, Thank you for the advice.
Have you ever use any of carleys Aluminum Reflectors in Mag's?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
JT:

Carley regrets that their aluminum reflectors will not fit into Mag heads.

I haven't yet used the Carley reflectors but am on the verge of ordering a total 5 @ 2" and 3" set screw reflectors. I will epoxy 2" Mag charger tempered glass lenses to make 2" reflector lens assemblies. Carley said they'd give me the name of their supplier of 3" lenses and "faceplate" parts. Depending upon what develops from this lead I will either buy 5 @ 2" assemblies or 2 @ 2" and 3 @ 3" reflectors at a quoted unit price of $6.13 @ and $14.37 @, respectively.

I will find a way to insert at least two of these into modded DB heads. The others will go into project lights with multiple 2450 mAh 7.2 V A battery packs.

BTW, I just received Carley's quote for potted bulbs today. It follows including the potted #809 bulb I mentioned priced at $7.52 @ or $1.23 more with Voltage and Amperage inscribed.

"6-27-02

HI,

I HOPE THIS FINDS YOU WELL. SORRY FOR THE LING DELAY IN GETTING THIS TO YOU.

I HAVE TWO OPTIONS FOR YOU. ONE IS TO HAVE THE LAMP POTTED INTO THE PR BASE
WITH NO BASE MARKING AND SECOND, TO HAVE THE LAMP POTTED WITH THE MARKING OF
VOLTAGE AND PART NUMBER ON THE PR BASE.

CL 809 POTTED ONLY - $ 7.52 EACH
CL 809 POTTED & MARKED - $ 8.73 EACH

CL 851 POTTED ONLY - $ 8.02 EACH
CL 851 POTTED & MARKED - $ 9.23 EACH

CL 1122 POTTED ONLY - $8.02 EACH
CL 1122 POTTED & MARKED - $ 9.23 EACH

CL 928 POTTED ONLY - $ 7.36 EACH
CL 928 POTTED & MARKED - $ 8.57 EACH

LEAD TIME PROVIDING ALL ITEMS ARE IN STOCK IS 4 - 6 WEEKS.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR WOULD LIKE TO PROCEED WITH AN ORDER, PLEASE
CONTACT ME.

PLEASE REMEMBER WE WILL BE CLOSED THE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF JULY 02 REP OPENING
ON THE 15TH.

HAVE A NICE 4TH. TAKE CARE."