Ultrafire WF601A - Brown Spot?

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I just last week received a 2AA 601 from DAE. Great service from him BTW.

Anyway, I notice a distinct "brown" spot in the center of the beam. No visible signs of anything physical on the LED or reflector.

Has anyone seen this type of thing before?

Not the end of the world by any means, but it would be nice to have a more perfect beam.

Thanks!

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I've tried a few and haven't seen any spots - well maybe right after I looked directly into the LED :huh:

Later,
Scott

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Guess I could try to take a beamshot. However, I have a feeling there's nothing I can do about it anyway. The head appears to be sealed and I don't have any modding skills yet. :awman:

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
You CAN take part of the 'head' off.

You will notice that there is a engraved metal pattern on the head, with depressions on it (near the top, there are a fwe of them).

Turn that part counter-clockwise, be careful as there is a little rubber o-ring and the plastic lens loves to fall out and get covered in dust... also the threads are really tiny, so try to put it on straight again.

At that point you should see that the plastic reflector and the exposed Zled. I think some dust particles or other garbage has gotten in there. Also the LED epoxy isn't, its some kind of silicon and could have something stuck to it.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
a brown spot in the center of the beam is really odd with a reflectored light. Maybe there is dust/etc in there?

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Melchior, thanks for the instructions on removing the head. I did remove it and I see a tiny (half pin head sized) "spot" or chip on the reflector itself. It is not dust and does not respond to gentle compressed air. It think it may be a reflector defect. It is located about 1mm away from the base of the LED on the reflector itself.

What I see in the beam is a brownish / greenish spot that is dead center and about 1/3 the size of the hot portion of the beam.

Wish I could get a new reflector, get the old one out, and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the help guys.

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
i`m getting a greenish small spot in the middle of mine too but you really have to look for it in the hotspot.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Mine is fairly noticable. The first time I turned on the light, it was pointed at my forearm. I thought I had a bruise.

I guess my Fenix L2T has spoiled me. It's beam is worlds better than the Ultrafire.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Really, thats too bad. The one I've used is 100% perfect, with a blue tint (think Nichia blue).
Makes my NiteIze look half dead (which it could be considering how long they last).

Output COULD be better, (it IS a 2.5 Watt LED after all) but its nothing to sneer at.
(unless you own a HID)

True its not a 'premium' light, but would you rather have a 1W LED sit on a shelf collecting dust, or one that you can use wherever whenever and not be worried about damaging?