A heavily Modified Mag-74

jashhash

Enlightened
Well I just created this light and already I've put it up for sale. I just wanted to post the mod details here and a few pictures incase anyone is interested. This ebay listing describes the mod prety well:

Pictures can be found in my Ebay listing here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8824574235

Heavily Modified Maglite:

I deliver Pizza for Domino's, and created this light 2 months ago specifically for long range spotting as well as for self defense (blinding spot). Since I'm no longer in the delivery business I thought I might sell this incredible flashlight. This light represents my best work thus far. Those of you who are familiar with the Candle Power Forums know this light as a Mag-74. I know there are other incredibly bright mods out there that exceed 2000 lumens, but these lights aren't suited for any practical purpose. Those hand-held-light-houses have incredibly bright beams, so bright that they can start fires. Any flashlight that exceeds about 900 lumens could be a fire hazard. This Mag-74 is designed to be as bright as possible while still being practical for daily use.

Form Factor:
The light I offer is of comparable size to the surefire M6 being only 1/4" longer than the M6. It's a stock maglite that has been cut down from 10" to 7.96".

The Batteries:
This light uses extremely hard, if not impossible to find, D-size Lithium Ion batteries. These batteries are what gives this light its incredible run time of 83 minutes. The Surefire M6 advertised run time is only 20 minutes. These batteries provide 4x the run time of the surefire M6. The surefire M6 uses 6x non rechargeable CR123 batteries which cost a dollar a piece. These batteries are rechargable meaning you will never have to spend money buying new cells. Since these cells are so hard to find, this sale comes with a replacement cell incase one is damaged or lost. Warning: these cells must not be inserted into the flashlight backwards. They must be charged in parallel configuration not in series. These cells must not be discharged past 2.9 volts. These cells may only be charged using the provided Li-Ion charger or other Li-Ion chargers. The winner of this bid is responsible for educating himself on the proper charging, discharging, and maintenance of these batteries. These batteries have gone through only 2 cycles so far.

The Bulb:
This light uses a 20 watt Welch Allyn #1274 halogen bulb which runs at its nominal 7.2 volts for an incredibly bright 540 bulb lumens. This bulb is comparable to Surefire's MN21 lamp which runs at approximately 500 bulb lumens. In addition to being brighter, these bulbs are also much cheaper than Surefires MN21 lamp. The 1274 bulb can be bought on the CPF (candlepowerforums) forum for $5 each. The MN21 will cost $35-45 for each (Source: completed ebay auctions). This flashlight has the added benefit of being able to accept the Welch Allyn #1111 bulb which when overdriven from 6 to 7.2 volts provides 880 lumens of light. To give you a comparison of how bright this is, the standard 2D Mag from which this was modified measures approximately 21 bulb lumens. Not only is this light much smaller than a stock 2D it's 25x brighter (41x brighter with #1111)!

Circuitry:
Now this is what makes this light absolutely awesome. Installed in this light is Andrewwynn's custom made "Hot Driver." Did you know that a 20 watt bulb will actually draw an 80 watt power spike on startup? This circuit is designed to absorb this bulb destroying power spike. This feature also makes it possible to overdrive bulbs 20-50% beyond their nominal voltage without blowing them. Without this circuit it wouldn't be possible to overdrive the Welch Allyn #1111 bulb to 880 lumens. In addition to the soft start feature this circuit offers low-voltage cutout. When the Li-Ion batteries are drained, this circuit is designed to automatically shut off power to the batteries when they are 95% discharged. This is extremely important because without this feature it wouldn't be safe to run this light off Lithium Ion batteries. For advanced users: it is also possible to change the desired voltage output of this circuit in order to accept a wide variety of bulbs. The Surefire M6 provides none of these features.

The switch:
Unlike the conventional Maglite this modified version has it's switch in the tail cap. By removing the bulky switch and adding this new low-profile switch this light can be machined from its original 10 inches down to 7.96. This switch is superior to stock in that it has far less resistance, and it's waterproof. I've submersed this light in 12 inches of water for 5 minutes and no water seeped through the seals.

The Lens:
The lens is a custom Ultra Clear glass lens from flashlightlense.com. These lenses are more efficient than the standard Polycarbonate lens which allows 90% of light to pass through. Because of the anti reflective coating the UCL lens allows 99% of light to pass through.

The Reflector:
The reflector is a cam-less Light Orange Peeled Aluminum reflector. Since these bulbs burn so hot they require a metal reflector that won't melt. This reflector is also more efficient at projecting light out the front than the stock reflector.

Condition:
This light is mostly in like-new condition. There are some hairline scratches left by the lathe chuck but these aren't visible unless viewed up close. There is a scrape on the plastic sleeve of one of the batteries. The spring on the tail cap switch is slightly bent. None of these blemishes will affect the performance of the flashlight in any way.

Last edited:

jashhash

Enlightened
I machined the socket myself. It will only work in conjunction with a tailcap switch though. The socket is a drop in pill that presses up against the mag snap ring. (kind of hard to explain). This socket was made to fit Andrewwynn's hot driver, the positive contact is soldered directly to the circuit board.