6D MAG Lite MOD

User4Fun

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6 cell Mag Lite. I would like to start leaning about modifications and such. Any ideas or where to start.

Second question.
One of the batteries busted and the inside tube now looks like crap, how can i effectively clean that.

Last edited:

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
Yes.

Go to the "Incadescent" forum and use the little button called "SEARCH".

Enter Mag 6D or something similar and pull up a glass of lemonade and read.

The "SEARCH" button is your friend. Use it before posting.

As for the batteries, see above. Cliff's notes: Remove the switch assembly (use hex wrench after removing the button cap), and after removing the head and the tail - and the switch assembly, clean as best you can.

John

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
User4fun,
Bottomline:
What you are going to find is that to make the best out of your 6D Mag it will cost you about $200 to make a 6D ROP. This price will include a new multicell charger that will charge at least 6D's at the same time, six D NIMH high quality batteries, a borofloat lens, an aluminum reflector and the Pelican Big D bulb set. For this amount of money your choice of other good lights is varied. If you are dead set on the 6D this is the way to go. Might as well spend another $25 and get yourself a brand new 6D just for this project.

mdocod

Flashaholic
the ROP is definetally the most ideal- realistic, safe, and ballanced mod.... In a 6D mag- it'll run for a LONG time on NIMH cells... (around 2 hours) but it doesn't have to cost $200... You can get by using 6 Tenergy/Powerizer D cells, which are available for ~$6 each plus shipping... what type of charger is up to you- a 4 cell charger will work fine but take longer to get all the cells ready- smart 4 cell chargers can be had for under $30...

so..
the host: you have it: free
6D sized Tenergy NIMH + shipping: $44.50
reflector + shipping: $32.50
replacement lense + shipping: ~$10
ROP bulb kit(hi/low)shipped: ~$10

that's under $100 .... if you need a charger throw on another $30 or so.... or more if you have a more expensive one in mind....

there are many other mods being discussed on an ongoing basis over in the incandecent section...

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
$200? That's kind of steep.
I dont think it'll be that high.
$60 for batteries max.
$25 alumininum reflector
$25 charger
$12 UCL lense
$12 bulb set

He's at around $125 or somewhere around there. The biggest cost is the batteries and the charger. Once you have those, you can use the batteries anywhere and you can also use the charger anywhere. Here's a good charger to use.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/104771

Basically, get a cheap $1 battery holder, and you can charge the batteries with that charger. Plus you can use it for future mods too including the Mag85.

mdocod

Flashaholic
my recomendation- on chargers- is a bit different. I suggest a charger that monitors the cells individually through the duration of the charge- this insures that each cell charged more precisely... So a multi-bay charger has some advantages... the "pack" chargers are something I would only use in senarios where the batteries have been soldered into a pack already, which won't be the case with most 6D mag-mods.

User4Fun

Newly Enlightened
you guys are great, thank you so much for the information.

If i go with one of these routes, i will let you know.
Last question,
The 110, or the 125 or even the 200 that i will spend. how much differencewill it do for the mag lite from factory the the new and improved layout.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I assume you are asking how much performance gain you will get...
a stock 6D maglight, on FRESH alkalines- is going to have ~150 real lumens out the front... A ROP, depending on how good the cells are, and depending on how low you can get the resistance in the light- will have somewhere around 500-700 lumens out the front... (i think)

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well $200 is on the high end for the best equipment. It will last the longest and give the best runtime. I recommend the new Maha charger because it will give you smarts and flexibility to charge all six D cells at once in 2-3 hrs fast charge, soft charge and conditioning and will charge all your other AAA's, AA's and C cells. And yes you can get 6 rechargable D's for less than $60.

My price is based on the following from Thomas Distributing.

-MAHA MH-C808M Battery Charger w/ LCD Display $95 not including shipping

-6 CTA Digital NiMH D Batteries (12,000mAh) will be $57
not including shipping

-Borofloat lens is $10

-Aluminum reflector is $20-$25

-Pelican 3854 Big D bulb set is $7.50 to $10

I am using this setup with a Mag 6C with great results. Now that I have the charger I am tempted to get the D cells for my 6D. Talk about awesome runtime! If you think you can put up with the size and weight of the 6D then you can have a fantastic light with lots of output and a long runtime.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and the bulbs are rated as 600 lumens (high output) and 290 lumens (low output). In REAL terms, believe me, it will be bright.

mdocod

Flashaholic
if you can afford it- go with NotRegulated's advice on the charger and batteries.... that would be an awsom combo... If you need to skimp on price somewhere- the charger tends to actually have a greater impact on long term reliability and performance than cells do- skimp on the cells (go tenergy/powerizer) before skimping on the charger if possible...