Q3 mod for flood?

unclearty

Enlightened
I searched the archives to no avail. Does anyone know of a mod to make my very white Q3 moor of a flood light? MIne has good throw, but little flood.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
This low-tech idea might work for you.

Remove the lens and place one or two layers of "invisible" style scotch tape over it. Trim the tape to fit the lens.
Use the tape that has a matte finish and not the glossy finish.

unclearty

Enlightened
I actually have some Write Right (sp)? It sort of works, but just mutes the hotspot. I'd like to find a mod to make it more like a KL1 beam. I'm wondering if there's a different reflector maybe? Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
unclearty said:
I actually have some Write Right (sp)? It sort of works, but just mutes the hotspot. I'd like to find a mod to make it more like a KL1 beam. I'm wondering if there's a different reflector maybe? Thanks for the suggestion, though.
I had Milkyspit mod mine specifically for flood, and he used WriteRight on the lense. I like it that way.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
That thing not floody enough? i gave mine to my daughter after I got my HDS B-60. It was just too much flood for imho a great EDC. I have nothing against flood, I got a great KL-4, just was a pain for trying to see if the light was throwing, or if the Q-3 flood was washing out my vison.

I would agree with the write right/tape method. VDG

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option would be to remove your Q3's reflector and sputter it for increased flood at the expense of the hotspot.

Do-It-Yourself sputtering can be found in this thread.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
LumenHound said:
Another option would be to remove your Q3's reflector and sputter it for increased flood at the expense of the hotspot.

Do-It-Yourself sputtering can be found in this thread.

:huh2: .. the QIII comes stock with an orange peel type texture reflector.
That is why it has more flood than smooth mirror reflector lights.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sputtering the Q3 reflector can turn it from Medium Orange Peel into Heavy Stipple.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
unclearty: I noticed the the gen 2 K1L has a collimator optic. This should narrow the beam with less spill.

Perhaps you should be looking for one of those.

Last edited:

unclearty

Enlightened
I was hoping for more like the early KL1 ..just a wall of white light. I don't use this for distance, but lighting up the back of computer racks and phone systems, so flood is more desireable. I'm going to try taking it apart this weekend and doing the sputtering mod. Thanks for your suggestions.

teststrips

Enlightened
I opted to just take off the head end of my q3 when I need flood... my normal use is fine with the reflector and I can't concieve of a time when I'd need waterproofness (is that a word) when I also need flood. Taking off the head also adds the benefit of having a shorter/ligher light.

if you need flood more often than not, you could simply take the reflector out of your light completely and carry it that way. You'd have to come up with something to keep the lens in place though.