Pelican 2390 leaks

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
My new 2390 leaks water around the o-ring closest to the center of the grip. There is a hole in the tube I guess for a vent, but it leaks when barely submerged. Is this normal? A $100 light should be more leakproof than a $15 walmart special.

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine leaks where the head attaches to the body..... all i have to do is put it under a foset, and water will run through.... ahh well. Just gives me an excuse to buy another 3 watt light.

-David

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
Is there any way to fix it? Can I put a little dab of silicone onder the o-ring and put it back on. If the pressure builds up it should push the silicone out before it explodes.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
only thing i think might work would be using some epoxy, but it wont come off very easily.

-David

vtunderground

Enlightened
Clean o-ring, then re-lube with silicone grease. Leakage can be caused by something as small as a hair on the o-ring.

If it still leaks, contact Pelican, This should be covered under warranty.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you ever get the idea that the 2390 is waterproof? If you had had the opportunity to read the specifications of the product before you bought it, there probably wouldn't have been this misunderstanding. If you're looking for a water submersible light, the M6 is not it, however you're in luck. Pelican is a leader in the manufacture of lights specifically designed for underwater usage. Take a look at http://www.pelican.com/lights_category.php?Category=Primary&LampType=%&Submersible=%&New=% for lights that are more appropriate for that kind of usage.

ADDICTED2LITE said:
My new 2390 leaks water around the o-ring closest to the center of the grip. There is a hole in the tube I guess for a vent, but it leaks when barely submerged. Is this normal? A $100 light should be more leakproof than a $15 walmart special.

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
I didn't expect it to be totally water-PROOF, but it would be nice to be able to take a little water if it is in my pocket during a rainstorm or dropped in a mud puddle.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. You think they "vented" it to keep it from .... EXPLODING?!
Wouldnt that be the equivalent to a Pipe-bomb without the vent?

-tom