Inova X1 or Gerber Infinity Ultra?

colnago

Newly Enlightened
I'm undecided between this 2 flashlight. Any of the CPF here owns this 2? Can give some advice? Guess my criteria would be :
Water resistant, able to use rechargeable/lithium batt, ~10hrs runtime, bright enough to navigate in the dark and reliable/tough enough for outdoor adventure. Thanks.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only had the old models - no longer relevent. Of those, I would have picked the Infinity for toughness. Of newer models, that would still be my GUESS. Nowadays, I carry a Civictor as a much better light ($28 or so shipped from 4sevens with his current sale), with spare batteries if needed. Civictor is as tough, reliable, and waterproof as any of them, about 5 times as bright (measured), runs flat about 3 hours on nimhs/liths, 4 hours diminishing with alkies.

Last edited:

rider

Newly Enlightened
I have both and think that the Inova is better than the Gerber across the board. Both will run on NiMH batteries or 1.5V lithiums.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an Inova X1. I played with them at Target and like the design, but didn't pick one up for the following reasons:

1. There seems to be some quality issues with the latest X1s. The first being that the switch can fail or only works if you push on it a certain way (not my idea of reliability).

2. Second QC issue is that the lens can fall off. It's glued in (I don't have a problem with that), but I don't want it falling off.

3. It's longer than the Gerber IU.

I have 2 Gerber IUs and like those more for the following reasons:

1. I personally prefer the design...I think it's more attractive and like the Green ones I have.

2. Has a very nice, even floody beam. I really really like the beam!

3. It's shorter and has a very reliable twisty.

4. Tailstand is a nice feature and I use it quite often that way.

5. I tested it to last 5 days of usable light (defined as I can navigate a dark indoors fine and color recognition is decent) on a partially used alkaline AA, so I'd expect more on a fresh AA. This is my survival light.

6. I haven't experienced the CMG Infinities, but the Gerbers feel very solid in construction to me.

rider

Newly Enlightened
I think there's been about one report of a window falling off of an early production model. That problem has been solved. The Gerber doesn't have a window in the first place.

I have not seen any mention of a switch "failing" on an X1, and by nature of the design, it's basically impossible for it to fail. It's a twisty with one large contact plate completing a circuit between the AA cell and the end of the battery tube.

As you note, the Inova doesn't tailstand.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall reading at least 2 cases (possibly 3) about the lens coming off. The were only the ones I read when I was considering the X1, after which, I didn't look further. I've read several (more cases than the lens one) that the switch works best if pressed a certain way or didn't work when pressed in the center. I'm not saying all X1s are like this, or that it's a poor quality product overall, but even in the X1 threads, people have mentioned there have been some QC issues. If they've been resolved, that's great. But, in my decision making, the Gerber innately cannot have these issues with the lens or switch since it lacks those features...so I prefer the Gerber.

Just like how everyone says the new Gerbers aren't as robust or tough as the CMGs...I haven't found evidence saying it's not. The battery tube is thick, threads are smooth, and quality overall feels better than even the Fenix lights.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, new models. Old "spot beam" X1's are for very limited purposes, but the new reflector ones have as good a beam as any single 5mm light. I don't care for the length of the X1, the IU is much more compact. There is no way to tailstand an X1 either, and I use that feature a lot. The X1 switch is a bit finicky on momentary, but twisting it on has worked reliably for me. My Gerber IU switch has been perfect both in twist on and momentary press mode (not advertised, but works as good as any out there, just using the slack in the threads to activate with a press). I also like the Gerber clip for clipping the light to the brim of a ball cap. Not available on the X1.

My Gerber is from last fall, and it sounds like they may be coming with the new Nichia CS LED's in them. Mine was quite dim and blue, and I modded it with a CS (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/98568), and it is wonderful. I also took the time to polish the reflecor, which may or may not increase the light thrown forward by enough to notice, but it looks real nice anyway. You can also find the Gerber's for a few bucks less than the X1 now, but at the same price which I paid, $20 ea., I still vote for the Gerber. The only drawback would be getting one of the older LED's and not being inclined to do a mod to a new one. I do not know how to be sure you are getting the latest LED in a IU.

colnago

Newly Enlightened
Well, I read in some thread that the X1 does not accept rechargeable/lithium? What about the Gerber IU? Can I use rechargeable/lithium in it? Is the X1 much brighter than the IU?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read that *some* people are having problems with other battery types, NiMH in particular if I recall. No real reason they should not work in the X1, but I think the problem may be in the specific end design of the battery not contacting inside the light. Gerber IU will certainly accept any AA except, of course, the AA size 14500 Li-Ion which is a 3.6 volt battery.

As far as brightness, with the latest, i.e. CS Nichia LED's, the two lights are basically the same in output (not counting loss through the X1's lense). As I noted above, last year I got a dimmer LED in the Gerber IU. But recent posts suggest they now come with the CS or comparable LED. This would make sense, as even the new Eveready products are advertising using them ("latest Nichia LED's, 2X brighter" sticker on the package).

Culhain

Enlightened
I used the Gerber Infinity Ultra as my EDC for about 8 months. I recently replaced it with the new (reflectorized) Inova X1.

Both seem to be well made, quality products.

Although the Inova puts out more light, I miss the flat tail that allows the light to stand on end.

Afraid-of-the-dark

Newly Enlightened
I have both lights and in a simple backyard test of "Can I avoid stepping in a big dog pile" I found the X1 has a more useful flood to its beam.

I have only used off-the-shelf alkalines and I've yet to have any problems but I also haven't done any battery specific testing.

--->Squint

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have both (Inova X1 w/reflector) and don't really like it. To me they're on the "dimmer" side for my eyesight and they appear purple-ish. I do like the size and feel to them though!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

johndl1

Newly Enlightened
I have the new X1 and a CMG IU.The X1 is brighter and I got it to replace my CMG but I went back to my CMG IU. If the IU had the output of the X1, it would be perfect.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have both the Inova X1 and Gerber Infinity Ultra. I'll agree that both lights seem to be constructed equally tough.

I prefer the output of the X1, which is brighter and a little longer which makes it easier to use and grip. I've heard that all the problems with the tailcap and lens falling out have been solved, but on my own X1 I have managed to make it fail by smacking it against my palm, bezel first (I was testing the shock resistance of the internal piston). Perhaps this could have been a fluke, a simple odd chance, which strikes me as a likely explanation. But because of this, I hesitate to recommend the X1 (no qualms with any other Inova lights) in situations that may require increased reliability. Keep in mind, however, that using a different brand battery, did in fact cause the X1 to light up again, though this is no guarantee.

The Gerber Infinity Ultra has been my spare carry light in my backpack for several months now, without any sort of failure. It's watertight and I have thrown it around several times in "testing." It is less bright, but is plenty useful to me for walking around. While I prefer other lights such as the much more expensive Surefire A2 or E1L for walking around at night I can get along perfectly fine with the Gerber IU. Among these two lights, I recommend the Gerber highly.

I'll also mention the Fenix L1T, a relatively unexpensive dual output light. It runs on 1AA battery and can switch between low and high modes in order to either give more "kick" to the output or conserve battery power. I'm also curious as to why you foresee a need to have ten hours of light on a single battery? AA batteries are neither heavy nor expensive, and a few of them can be easily carried on one's person.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
johndl1 said:
If the IU had the output of the X1, it would be perfect.

I agree. It NEEDS a newer/brighter LED badly. I like everything else about it, but you're not always gonna be in areas that are gonna have alot of reflective surfaces. This is why they're useful indoors, but outside? Not for me, thanks.