Nichia NSPW500BS T-1 3/4 (5mm) RANK S WHITE LED

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered some of these to make experimental
flashlight & headlamp.Does anyone have any sugguestions?There suppose to be 8000+ mcd @ 3.6v

Also Im going to Shelby hamfest(Giant electronic
fleamarket)this weekend,any sugguestions on some
Hi power LEDs to look for wwould be a great help
Also Im wanting to get some hi power IR leds to
make a better illuminator for my nightvision.

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Its best to buy those directly from Nichia in 100 count lots, then they are only $2.05 each, thats what I do anyway.
These are the same LEDs that I use in my Brinkmann Legend AAA mods, if you want what ARC uses (I believe Peter still does) you need to ask for the higher ranked ones like a NSPW500BS-BS1.
I have driven these at much higher voltages occasionally and have never blown one. Try to get 4.0-4.2V and 30-35mA for best results, have fun!

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
Sounds great Daniel but where can I find out more
info on your Brinkmann modification?

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
The LED Museum still keeps a page of this mod of mine under "User Mods" but does not show the assembly procedure, its really a kindergarden kind of mod but I made hundreds of them and sold these to many CPF members earlier this year.
Unfortunately my summer job up here in Alaska keeps me from making any during the summer plus our constant daylight weakens the market considerably. During the long dark winter months I make a ton of them and usually the local tool dealers like Snapon buys them by the case, soon I will make more....I think, there is fast becoming available LED flashlights using the brightest LEDs and are getting smaller each day.

its an easy mod that performs well though not as near the long run time of the ARC, but it does have a focussing beam to a degree AND a lockable tailcap push button switch, in case you are new to modding the Brinkmann Legend is IMHO one of the "friendliest" flashlights to mod, I have done the AAA-Nichia mods, the 2-AA Luxeons, and even the 3-AA Luxeons long before anyone else but then again while the mods were on hiatus CPF members like Lambda and Elektrolumens have surpassed and exceeded in performance.

Hopefully when I recieve the 20 5 watt Luxeons a brainstorm will appear and something will develope in an affordable unit.
Here is a link at LED Museum