G&P X-9 5W LED vs Streamlight TL-3 LED... which is brighter?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone been able to compare the two previously?

Its going to be the affordable backup light to my Surefire L6...

I'm after overall brightness and longest runtime.

Thanks.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without ever seeing the G & P, I'm going to guess that it's going to win in the brightness category. The Streamlight TL-3 LEDs seem to be major under performers.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe the TL-3 LED is regulated at all...DD I think. This would probably equate to longer runtimes at the sacrifice of less output than the G&P. I too have not seen the G&P.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight TL-3 LED is really more of a flood light that covers a large area and does not have a bright white light, but it depends on what your application is for the lights. Mine has a greenish tint and the light output is slightly lower than level 5 on my Surefire U2.

Your other choice is to checkout the Streamlight 2L 3W which is 3w luxeon, but has good throw an good runtime. Amazon.com sells them for $54.00 and free shipping. I like this flashlight alot, but my Surefire U2 out performs the Streamlight TL-3 LED and 2L 3W.

P.S. My Streamlight 2L 3W is bright, but more of a spotlight and has been my most reliable flashlight for 3 years, and they run on any rechargeable RCR123 batteries.

Last edited:

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, as I too am curious about the G&P X9 5W, and am strongly considering getting one just to check it out. What I can do, however, is make your choice even more difficult by suggesting a PentagonLight L3. I had one of these 3 cell lights and it was truly outstanding, both in beam and construction. There's an excellent review on them here:

http://photonforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/658102481/m/945109365/r/525102075#525102075

You will not be disappointed with one of these. And FYI - I got mine on Ebay for $105 plus shipping. A great deal for a real performer.

Have a great day!
John C.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm lusting after a Surefire L5 or the PentagonLight L3 HAIII... the L5 is bright, compact, looks beaut and .... it's a SUREFIRE!

The L3 is on par in terms of quality, but brighter, longer runtime and is cheaper to purchase. But it doesn't look as good as an L5 or feel as balanced in the hands...

Bloody decisions...:ohgeez:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

logan

Newly Enlightened
I never had a surefire :( i can't answer your question :whistle:.

I use two 17500, i got anything like 2,? hours.
In ebay the seller said that it give 3 hours on 3xcr123a.

It's bright, battery compartment diameter is of: ~18,? mm, I will see with one G&P extender if two 18650 will pass.

logan

Newly Enlightened
I can't unscrew to look, the aluminium piece of the luxeon seem to be epoxyed to the aluminium reflector (do you think really that a luxeon emitter can be cloned ?), the 5w head is sold also separately in other web stores (bugout gear ?), here is some pics:

1mr6.jpg

2pn5.jpg

3jn9.jpg

Last edited: