Local foods & Recipes

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I noticed that once in a while a food-related thread pops up. From fastfood to steak and from Rahmen to chillie. But as CPF is a pretty international crowd, I'd like to see some recipes for local dishes from your own area.

The dutch kitchen is pretty boring, but I'll start...

1. "Haring Happen" (Biting Herring). You take a RAW herring, clean the fish like any other, but leave the sides connected at the tail and leave the tail in place. Sprinkle it with chopped (raw) onion. Now grab the herring by the tail and hold it over your head, and bite a piece off.
This is more a traditional way of eating it then it is a recipe, but for those who really don't fancy a raw fish with onions dangling over their heads... the other option is to put the fish and the onions on a bun...

haringhappen.jpg

2. Another dutch dish is "Stampot", which is basically mashed potatoes with vegetables mashed through. My personal favorite is "Boerenkool Stampot" (Farmers Cabbage stampot) I don't know if farmers cabbage is the right translation (but the latin name is Brassica oleracea convar.acephala var.sabellica). The recipe is quite simple:

For 4 persons you need:
- 1 kg chopped and rinsed farmers cabbage
- 1 kg potatoes
- 250 g diced bacon
- 1 "Rookworst" (smoked sausage, if you cant get this, use frankfurters instead)
- 1/3 cup of milk
- Pepper & Salt
- teaspoon of vinegar

How to prepare:

- Cook the potatoes and the farmers cabbage in a sinlge pot until the potatoes are well done.
- In the mean time, bake the diced bacon crispy (don't add extra grease! the grease of the bacon needs to be pure, you'll need it later)
- Pour off the water from the cabbage and potatoes and mash the whole lot
- Add the milk, vinegar and add salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up the smoked sausage (use the traditional dutch method: microwave it)
- Mix the bacon AND it's grease through the potatoes and cabbage
- Put the smoked sausage on top

How to serve:
- Put a generous amount of "Boerenkools stampot" on a plate, cut the smoked sausage in equal pieces ( or cut it in unequal pieces and you can participate in another dutch tradition called "fighting over the biggest piece") serve it with a pickled gherkin or some mustard on the side.

boerenkool.jpg

Eet smakelijk!

By the way, when you post your recipes, please make sure that you use generic ingredients as many brand items are not available everywhere. If a brand product is really needed, please also note the closest generic version...
Now post some recipes, I'd really like to try some of your local specialty dishes :)

Last edited:

savumaki

Enlightened
Well being of Finnish persuasion I would much rather take your cleaned herring (and several others) and put them in a brine of salt/sugar/dill and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of days;
then I would pop them in my Bradley smoker and with light smoke cook for a few hours; pull them out/cold beer/heaven :poof: all gone :grin2::grin2:

Karl

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asado Criollo:

Wake up early
Find a cow, kill it and cut it in half, remove the leather if desired
Find a big log of wood or a dead tree and make it small logs
Make a shallow hole in the ground and make the woods burn
using a support like a cross shape hold the meat at 70 degrees from the ground at around half meter from the fire
wait 3 hours
flip side exposed to fire
wait 3 hours
Eat ribs till you re about to explode

These pics will help you understand the basics:

No fancy dressings, just add salt

Pablo

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Sorry, I don't have any herring recipes. I was in Iceland on vacation and the hotel had a brunch featuring about 30 different kinds of herring. Sheesh. Hey May, are you in Holland? I like the apple flappens, I think they're called!

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Lightmeup said:
Sorry, I don't have any herring recipes. I was in Iceland on vacation and the hotel had a brunch featuring about 30 different kinds of herring. Sheesh. Hey May, are you in Holland? I like the apple flappens, I think they're called!

I'm not just looking for herring recipes, but for local specialties in general :)

And Appelflappen are very good indeed... You should try the Kersenflappen too sometime (same thing but with cherries :))