• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Dimmable MagLite/LED feeler

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Anyone interested in a Maglite with a switch on the tailcap that will dim the light? I have a 2D prototype right now that's in fine working order, but I'd like to get a prettier switch, so they're not ready to ship yet.

This will work with regular incan. bulbs as well as the new MagLED. It will NOT work with the Nite-Ize LED conversion...I'm not sure about other setups.

I know this is a short description, and no pics...if you have any questions post them here and I'll try to answer them.

Price...approx US$25 plus shipping

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dimmable Mag-LED feeler

I'm interested. Need to see some pics of course...it would need to be compatible with LEDs to have any use to me.

schiesz

Last edited:

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened

I should add that the switch is in fact a switch with two positions (not a continuously variable pot.) This gives two levels of light: full and dimmed. I can customize the level to which it dims, though.

Also, this switch is compatible with the regular incan. Mag bulbs. It doesn't work with the Nite-Ize 2-6 cell LED drop-in unit, though. I can't tell you about compatibility with any other LED mods, since I don't own any. Sorry.

If you need specific pics or schematics, post and I'll do my best to meet your needs.

Thanks for your interest in what I do!

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened

I would want to know the current capacity of this switch. Would it work in a hotwire? 3-4A current flow?

Also, will you sell the tailcap/switch seperately?

dragoman

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened

I can use pretty much any switch you want as long as it physically fits in the tailcap, which isn't much of a problem.

I could sell the switch/tailcap seperately, if you can tell me of a place that would sell me just the tailcap/spring assembly.

PJS- What do you mean by "mortal danger"? Do you mean that it could be damaged easily by something bumping it? It's a pretty low profile switch and I could probably track down something even lower. (I just got these switches at RadioShack.) So I don't think it's exactly in "mortal danger".

It's a push button switch (not a flip style one, if that's what you're thinking of.)

I need to figure out how to get pics from our digital camera onto the net.

I'm working up a schematic in MS paint, so you can see how simple the circuitry is.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Ok, here's the schematic: (hope this works)

schematic7cr.jpg

Last edited:

rwolff

Enlightened

NelsonFlashlites said:
I could sell the switch/tailcap seperately, if you can tell me of a place that would sell me just the tailcap/spring assembly.

These guys sell tailcaps, springs, and O-rings separately. BTW, I tried to look at the schematic, but I got an error message because phvrf.yahoo.com couldn't be found.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened

Hmmm...The link works for me, but i'll try to get it up. For that matter, I can just describe it to you: It's a resistor in series with the battery's circuit and a switch in parallel with the resistor so you can bypass it. I hope that's clear as to how it works. It's really quite simple.

I got to thinking and there's no reason for me to include a MagLED in the package, so I'll edit the original price to be lower.

rwolff: I fixed the link (I think) Thanks for the link about the parts dealer. They only sell black tailcaps, though, and they want $6 for it (without the spring and o-ring) so that might be a limitation.

Last edited: