2 stage question for the L4

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I tried to search for MCes2 but didn't get very far after going through about a whole page of threads. I see that the complete switch is no longer available for the L4. It's still there for the "classic" series. Is that the same as the "E" series? or will it not work?

I do see that there are a few "diy" kits left. Are those hard to assemble? I also noticed that there are several different resistance choices. Which one would be best for me? I would like it dim enough to read without glare, but still be able to use it in "low" and have sufficient lighting to safely navigate around the inside of a house that's under construction. (just an example)

How do these switches work? Is it click high, low, off? Or is it when you click it's high/low and then you unscrew the tailcap to turn it off?

Will these work with the standard cap that comes with the L4 when it's purchased? I didn't see any "accessory" tailcaps on surefire's website.

By the way, there were several 2 stage tail cap DIY kits on the website. Which one is right for me when i do the mod? Do i need a new rubber cap or anything?

thanks in advance, i've been reading for 2 hours on this and haven't found anything relevant to what i need.

thanks

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McE2S is not a clicky. 22ohm will give you good navigation light and to read. Press for low, press a little harder for high. Or you can twist it into each stage.

Jeff

SCblur

Enlightened
What pitbull said, the McE2s acts like SF's two-stage switches: press for low, press harder for high, or twist for low, twist more for high. Pretty simple.

The problem here is, these have been discontinued, and SF doesn't make any two-stage tailcaps for the E-series (L4 included). Your best bet for picking one up is probably to keep a sharp eye out for one in the B/S/T forums here on CPF (This is how I got mine).

P.S. I've got a clicky that has been modded for two-stage operation. Click for low, twist all the way on for high. I don't use it, cause I like my McE2s better. If you'd like it, I'll part w/ it for $25. PM me if interested. Good luck in your search.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 60ohm is perfect for checking on a sleeping baby with an L4, or a checking the clock if you wake up in the middle of the night. The 22ohm is close to the output of an Inova X5T. The flat-top model will even make the L4 shorter. They are collectors items now, but still around.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCblur said:
What pitbull said, the McE2s acts like SF's two-stage switches: press for low, press harder for high, or twist for low, twist more for high. Pretty simple.

The problem here is, these have been discontinued, and SF doesn't make any two-stage tailcaps for the E-series (L4 included). Your best bet for picking one up is probably to keep a sharp eye out for one in the B/S/T forums here on CPF (This is how I got mine).

P.S. I've got a clicky that has been modded for two-stage operation. Click for low, twist all the way on for high. I don't use it, cause I like my McE2s better. If you'd like it, I'll part w/ it for $25. PM me if interested. Good luck in your search.

So how do you turn the McE2s off? press for low, press harder for high, then press again for off?

thanks

SCblur

Enlightened
No, it is off by default, then you have to push and hold to keep it on. Or, if you want constant-on, you turn the tailcap clockwise until it comes on at the desired brightness, and twist it backward to turn it off.