Help with LED drop-in for angled head D light

Spordin

Enlightened
I have a typical plastic mil-style angle head incand 2D light. What's the best drop-in LED for these type lights? Thx

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm wondering if the MagLED drop-in module would work with it too? Just curious that's all—

Enjoy!

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just talked my dad into picking up a PR based 2 cell MagLED, he tried my SMJLED in his Dorcy Angle Head and was happy with it, but I told him the MAG one should give him better output. He'll probably pick one up in the next few days, i'll report soon if it fits.

schiesz

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Actually I could be responding to either of you.

Without some modding, I don't think a M*gled will fit much of anything but a M*g.

If I can buy a 4 cell M*gled, I'm going to mod a Wallyworld 84cent 2AA to hold it.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I tried my MagLED drop-in in my fulton mil angle head and it does NOT fit. Too bad...the Nite-Ize one fits though, but is very diffused.

Nomad

Enlightened
An SMJLED would probably be gerat in this application. :) I tried one of the Nite-Ize drop ins for mags on a non-mag light and it was pretty awful (actually wouldn't be bad if you actually wanted a light that was all flood for a few short feet, like for looking for something in the dark when you have a general idea where it's at). At any rate, I love the SMJLED in my little "buckalite" cut-down wal-mart light...and it seems to work great in other 2 cell applications as well! Why do the CPF-ers always come up with better mods than the manufacturers?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Playboy, why should it not work other than focus? Isn't it a PR bulb and shouldn't it fit in any PR bulb socket?

I would not recomend it however, due to the heat issues. The bulb post of the maglite is metal (in part) and that helps conduct heat away from the LED. Without that little bit of metal, the LED would heat up very quickly and drop it's output to a low level. Please check NewBie's thread to see what I'm talking about.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received two of Lambda's SMJLED PR2 for 2 cells. One went into my Rayovac Industrial 2D. Output appears to be more than the stock KPR102 and due to this light's faceted reflector and the installed height of the PR LED insert, the beam quality is excellent with a large round spill and a nice hot spot. A very excellent $10 light. (This Rayovac is a very nice "cheap" light on its own.)

Now to my Fulton anglehead. I have been hesitant to mod this light in any way that it could not be easily returned to stock. The Lambda PR insert is excellent in this light. Looks to be about the same overall output as the Philips HPX22 Xenon I had installed. Of course color is much different. These SMJ PR2's are bright and bluish, but compared to the yellow of your stock incan 2D light they are a definite improvement.

Also, with 2D behind them these things should give very excellent runtime.

Mark

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
SMJLED PR bulb - $5 shipped from here. Puts out light output close to typical 1W LEDs while using only 1/3 watt of power (for very long run times).

That thread says $10 shipped not $5, where is it for $5 shipped?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
eebowler said:
Playboy, why should it not work other than focus? Isn't it a PR bulb and shouldn't it fit in any PR bulb socket?

IIRC, the mag module is a bit larger than a standard PR base.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Indeed that is why.

The one way it cab be overcome is if the light can let battery plus touch the bulb.
IE: I opened up the bulb area in an 84 cent 2AA (Walmart - United Outdoor) to hold a M*gled securly. And a 123 or 17500 Li-Ion touchs it with appropriate spacer.

pizzaman

Enlightened
I have upgraded all 3 of my angleheads with SMJLED PR2 bulbs. I have no regrets. I have added clear contact paper (contact brand) to the inside of the lenses for more diffusion/flood. This makes for a superb, long running work light.

Good luck, TR