Best way to put an LS into minimag?

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Don't say madmax, badboy, etc. I have a red/orange HD LS that I would like to put into my minimag (using the minimags reflector, I realize I will need/want to keep one focal point). How do I do this? Do I end up soldering wires onto the LS and then putting the pins in, or what? I will be direct driving the LS off of either NiMH's or alkalines. Either will be sufficient. So, how do I put it in?

Spud

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd probably build it much like I do my Brinkmann AA mods... Design a heatsink to sit on top of the battery tube and go from there. If you want to keep your design simpler, use a tailcap switch. Designing your mod to your spec's is what makes modding lights so fun!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Spud, I forgot to mention that you replace the reflector with the colimator that comes with the LS. A colimator is in your package!
grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
what is the best battery combo to use? i plan on modding a minimag with a copper plate on the top, and a tail switch.

btw, what is the best tailswitch and where can i aquire one?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Rothrandir:
what is the best tailswitch and where can i aquire one?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Kroll is probably the best (although I don't have one I heard they're decent). I have some of the RAM switches and have found they have excessive resistance, plus one of mine completely failed.

The truth is a tailcap switch costs almost as much as a complete Brinkmann Legend 2AA (with batteries and holster from REI) - $9.95 Then you wind up with a mini-mag that's not nearly as good as a Brinkmann - which is why I do not buy Mini-Mags to mod. New late production mini-mags are simply inferior to the Brinkmann..

The short answer is, it's way easier (and cheaper) to start with the right light to mod, so stick an Opalec in the mini-mag and get a Brink for the LS.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
solder wire onto the legs of the LED and bend them under and put them in where the pins from the bulb would go.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I guess I can do that, but I will need to drill out the reflector a bit more. I used the largest (I think) drill bit I have and it was barely too small, so I took a soldering iron to make the hole oblong (since the black part under the die lense is oblong/oval with straight sides). It fits, but would not be able to twist. Then again, I could simply put it where it needs to be, then threadlock the head into place (how hard is that stuff to get off?) and use one of my 3 or so tailcap switches. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the head turning, thus turning my ls, thus pulling the wires out of the sockets. I think I'll have to try this. I am glad I brought the 50 feet+ of business phone cable...it provides a LOT of wire for electronics projects
smile.gif
There are probably 20 or more strands in the cable, so I have like 1000 feet of wire to work with.

Spud