Vote for my 5W's Batteries, Please

MicroE

Enlightened
Vote for my 5W\'s Batteries, Please

I spent several hours today machining a large heat sink and dimantling/modifying a 2D Maglite to accept a 5W Cyan LS.
I've seen you guys build several different battery configurations for the 5Watters.
How shall I wire it?
5AA, 6AA, 9V, 2x123 ??
Vote now, or forever hold your peace.---Marc

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Re: Vote for my 5W\'s Batteries, Please

3x123 and let us know how she blows - er, goes...

Seriously though, I am thinking about going with 3x123s since my 5W Cyans took 6AAs just fine. In fact the Cyan Fire Breathing Dragon is still going strong all these weeks with exactly that config, 6AAs = 9V. I believe lithiums will shoot up the current, but it might just take it.

Your turn to be the guinea pig...

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you guys think they can handle the current, I might try 6C's in a mag. But I was leaning towards 5Cs to be safe.

I'd really like to try 12AAs with two 5ws in series in a 3D mag, but that would be 90 bucks worth of LED. Ouch!!

Its interesting that everyone is now talking about how great the side emitters are, but searching the archives found a couple posts from ElectroLumens where he pretty much discounted the side emitting 5w as junk...

Placing a 5w order next week and trying to decide if I want to try SEs rather than HDs...

Mark

Tater Rocket

Enlightened

Personally, if I were risking a $40+ LED, I would put a fuse into it so that if the current got above .75 amps or 1 amp it would blow, then you don't have to worry about such an expensive LED letting out its magic smoke.

Spud

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Den you won't know where your 5W's limit is ain't it?

MicroE

Enlightened

"....I would put a fuse into it...."

Tater Rocket---There is already a fuse in it. Look closely and you'll see a couple of fine gold wires inside the LED. Those are fuses. They just cost $40 to replace each time that they blow!
I have decided to go with Mr. Bulks 3x123 suggestion. I need to make a battery holder insert for the 2D and finish the assembly of the unit. I Should have data this evening or tomorrow AM.---Marc

MicroE

Enlightened

A flash of light,
a cloud of dust and a 5Watter dies a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE death.
Do not try running a 5W LS directly from 3x123.
Thanks, Mr. Bulk. I think I'll go back to AA's or try and regulate the 123's.---Marc

Stefan

Enlightened

My guess is you want voltage, not current. Try a alkaline 9 volt instead, they should have enough internal resistance to limit current.

MicroE

Enlightened

If at first you don't succeed....
I just finished the mod. I found a 5Watter that CAN take the heat of 3x123's. I turned it on and measured 1.3 Amps flowing through this puppy. I'm hesitant about letting it run more than a few seconds.
MY, IT IS BRIGHT. My KL1 ran and hid in shame. Of course the Maglite 2D is not about to become an EDC, so the KL1 will come out a play again tomorrow.---Marc

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened

Just take the 2d, and drill a hole in the tailcap. Stuff an Eye-bolt in there, and pour some epoxy inside the tailcap to re-seal it. Grab a dog-leash type clip, and you're all set.

You didn't need that spare-bulb space, anyway.
grin.gif