Flashaholism saves Marc from ticket

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was driving home last night and got pulled over. :sssh: I admit it, I was having fun in the twisties and might have been going just a few mph over the limit(Fellow STi drivers will understand). The Deputy walks up to my car and turns on his light. Absolutely blinding. I say, "Holy hell, is that a 10x Dominator or something?" Pregnant pause. Deputy replies, "well........yeah, actually." I reply, "Neato. Lemme get into my glovebox for my registration and blah blah blah," standard stuff. He checks over everything and even the low setting of his Dominator is too bright to read my registration and all that, so I offer him my SL PP Lux AA. He liked it so much that I told him about fox-intl.com and everyone here at CPF. He said he'd check out both websites, and let me go with a verbal warning. :thumbsup:

:buddies:

SCblur

Enlightened
Great story! There's a good reason to keep a few good lights with you in the car at all times.

Blazer

Enlightened
I would have chatted you up about the flashlights, got the information from you, then still given you the ticket.....:devil:

Just kidding, it's nice to have some positive interaction with the Police once in a while, usually you get the ticket then think all Police are jerks who don't have a human side to them.

Good CPF story.

vaism

Newly Enlightened
Clear blue ocean & windswept coconut trees..
Excellent! Touching story.. Somehow you two struck a chord on flashlights.. Reminds me how easily the ice is broken btw strangers during the world cup, esp. with the common topic. am i still in tune? think so. :laughing: Thanks for sharing!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
aww, i hate that, Boom in your face with a light, i always want to whip out my light and see if 2 can play that game.
but getting shot is a low priority on my list :)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blazer said:
I would have chatted you up about the flashlights, got the information from you, then still given you the ticket.....:devil:

Just kidding, it's nice to have some positive interaction with the Police once in a while, usually you get the ticket then think all Police are jerks who don't have a human side to them.

Good CPF story.

Well, I was speeding. I knew what I was getting into when I did it, and fully expected to get a ticket. I'm amazed that the Police are as nice as they are! They only get called when the SHTF; if I had to deal with idiots and a$$holes all day I'd be in a pretty bad mood myself.

To everyone else, thanks for the warm words. Knowing what I was getting into when I decided to speed didn't make me any less happy to get out of getting a ticket. :devil:

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's really cool. A 10x dominator is a bit overboard though.. I would have gone with an M6 and HOLA, BEAST II, or M4-cb with HOLA.. :)

-tom

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cornkid-

I thought the Dominator was pretty cool, but not overboard at all. I'm all for anything that doesn't hurt innocents or remove rights, but increases an LEO's safety. I didn't like being blinded, but my feelings are worth spit compared to the Deputy's safety. I got to look the Dominator over while he was messing with my SL and registration. Pretty sweet. :rock:I didn't know they were made out of Nitrolon. If the low beam was LED I'd consider buying a couple for my trucks. :)

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I like it as well, not consuming those expensive Cr-123s, and having two outputs. In terms of size, its a bit big..
-tom

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel_Bomber said:
I "Holy hell, is that a 10x Dominator or something?" Pregnant pause. Deputy replies, "well........yeah, actually." :thumbsup::buddies:

I've had some interaction on the street with LE regarding flashlights showing off my A2, C3 etc . sounds like that COP had a pretty powerful light:10X Dominator.
hmmm maybe that should be my next non LED buy. I wonder where's the best place to get "10X Dominator"?

Illum

Flashaholic
Surefires arent made to be used in point blank distance especially when your eyes are adapted to darkness..since your ID and papers are white...All he did was probably blind himself.

Blazer

Enlightened
VidPro said:
aww, i hate that, Boom in your face with a light, i always want to whip out my light and see if 2 can play that game.
but getting shot is a low priority on my list :)

My MagCharger (WA1160 and 6V battery stick) or Mag951 pretty much stun people into a momentary freeze (like a deer in the headlights). Expecially when I come up on the passenger side and they don't know I'm there.

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
When I was working the streets, I had my Magcharger.
Best available then.
Approaching cars with unknown people is always dangereous.
Also working warrants and going in houses at night.
You need any advantage you can get.
I would just tell them "Oh sorry if my light blinded you"
Carried spare bulbs in case one broke if I needed it to be impact weapon.
HEH HEH
Then pull out Minimag for paperwork.
Still have all of them with teethmarks on minis.
Now you people here have made me go crazy with lights,
Most discussions are over my head but have converted 3 3D Mags to LED's,
Got a couple of other LEDs (recharegeable) and even now a 24W HID (Plus others) Durn that big Thor looks good.
Love this site, learning a lot.

batman

Enlightened
Speaking of bright police lights,

2 nights ago while driving - a truck behind me was pulled over by a police car , all three of our cars going at slow speed so as the truck pulled over I witnessed him and the police come to a stop in my rear-view mirror. THen the cop flahsed his little (big?) spotlight that attaches to the driver's side window - BOOM! what a light! Even though it was just a second - it even got my attention from 3 - 400 yards in the rear-view mirror. What the h#ll are the specs on those search lights? Anyone?
Thanks!
Brad

Blazer

Enlightened
batman said:
What the h#ll are the specs on those search lights? Anyone?
Thanks!

Here's a typical one, but there are many others...

Features of 340 Series
Chrome Metal Head
Rubber Grip Handle
12 Volts
5,000 Hours Lamp Life
Clear UnityHID spotlight lamp no. U-7693
600,000 Candlepower
35 Watts
From http://www.unityusa.com/Revised%20New%20Website/Emergency%20Vehicles%20Webpages/Police%20Vehicles%20Webpages/Police%20Vehicles%20Spotlight%20Webpages/Police%20Spotlight%20features%20of%20340%20series.htm

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Diesel Bomber, that Deputy must NOT have been a Traffic Services guy! LOL! Then again, maybe you were just at his "tolerance" level, and he just wanted to make sure you were sober.

BTW, although I do not have a 10X Dominator, I DEFINITELY got my "clients" attention last week end with my Pila GL3 or LED Logic Striker VG. Of course, I started out with LED end of the GL3, then flipped around to the xenon end when things looked a little odd in the vehicles. The Striker's strobe certainly caught their eyes.

Man, did the 3 or more D Mags and Stingers my partners were using ever look sick compared to the above! When some of those died, I loaned out my Mag 2 C with borofloat, KPR118 & 2 x 18500, or my 2 Mag 3 C with the DB-3W & HS or DB-K2 & MOP.