Inexpensive faceted [dimpled] reflectors

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Doug,
A blown SF Pxx will give you a good reflector to work with. I have been trashing perfectly good LA's but I have seen offers on the CPF to provide burnt out LA's.

- Don

Ratso

Enlightened
A Rayovac $1.99 value bright lantern gives you a Surefire style textured reflector. Too bad its plastic.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Adam S.:
The legend LX has an aluminum textured reflector and it costs about the same amount as many SF lamp assemblies.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll vouch for Adam. I have 24 examples of the latest version sitting here and every single reflector looks like a SureFire. Looks like Brinkmann is quite committed to ongoing development and my hat is indeed off to them...

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk,

Can you do a 1 watt LS Side Emitter (white) for the LX?? Just curious if it is possible, given the 6 volt supply.

I agree on the LX. It is a very nice flashlight! Nice and affordable for those of us on tighter budgets, like me. Being able to get cheap 123s makes it even more affordable.
wink.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yes, but without circuitry it would run on 3V (one 123 lithium plus a SureFire Z20 dummy 123). Would be pretty dim.

I have access to Wayne's BadBoy 800 mAh adjustable board, just haven't fiddled with it yet to find the optimal setting for the LX (w/1x or 2x123s).

Given the notorious up-and-down QC of Luxeons, I suspect every board would have to be adjusted individually for each Luxeon to get optimal brightness. The flashlight would end up being very expensive -- no wonder PG will need to charge $300 for the LS3...

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk, With BB800 circuitry, the mod will be very bright regardless of its variation on vf. You might be able to skip this process to save cost:) Most users are cconcern more on its color.

Besides, I have been thinking why you didn't put BB800 on Brinkmann 3AA. I think it will be great for NiMH. I'll definitely get one or 2.

For EDC, lithium is the best as it won't be used for extended hours and no NiMH to be taken care. For users who use the light on routine like walking dog or at work, NiMH would always be the best approach.

Hmm... I'll get whatever you have anyway:)

Alan

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk,

When you do get around to fiddling with the BB800 circuitry and the LX, I would be interested in one as a One Watt Side Emitter. This would be as a complete unit, including the LX, as I don't want to modify the LX I have. I would want to know what the total price would be, including shipping (don't forget to add profit for yourself).

Having seen the LXes you have, I now know why they are hard to find here. LOL!

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Mr Bulk has "24" Legend LX? What exactly is he planning and more importantly how do I get in the line for whatever he is making??

- Vikas

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Methinks he is going to make a Hawaiin photonic disintegrator: 24 LXes, one computer controlled adaptive mirror that can be aimed, and ZAP!
grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Al, Vik and Charles,

You guys are too kind...{|^D

Actually I have no idea what I am going to do with all these LXs lying around. I was going to DirectDrive them all on 5W whites, but the tiny number of 5W examples I've been fortunate enough to procure aren't very bright at 6V. The BB800 also cannot accept voltage equal to or greater than the particular 5W Luxeon to which it is mated, as current would simply pass through it, possibly damaging the circuit in the process.

Maybe I'll buy a bunch of Surefire P61 HOLAs at cost, retrofit them in the LXs and sell them as extra bright modded incandescents on e-bay or whatever...

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought you would get a laugh out of that, Mr. Bulk.

Mo Betta Bro!

(I still have my Hawaii State I.D. Card, issued in 1980 and does not expire.)

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Wait for Wizard circuit board from Datzip and then hook up either an underdriven 5W white or an overdriven 1W white side emittor. If these can be priced decently, you would be sold out in a millisecond of enabling the "buy now" button.

- Vikas

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
For torches with faceted reflectors at a reasonable price try Benross
http://www.benross.co.uk
http://www.benross.com
One of these links should take you to thier web site and give you contact details.
They make some very nice torches with faceted reflectors. The Benross 4033 was my first 3D conversion; the faceted reflector seems to catch a lot of the stray light from the LED's really well. I'm sure they do smaller torches too!