1/2" PVC tubing length for Mag 2C??

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could one of you mod geniuses tell me the correct length of 1/2" PVC pipe to use with three 123 lithium cells in a Mag 2C. It'll save me a whole bunch of trouble.

Thanks very much.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I'm using a split length of 5/8th" black rubber fuel hose (from any automotive parts store). Perfect wall thickness between batteries and light tube with absolutely no rattle. Lenghtwise just shorter than three stacked 123s...

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cut mine about 3/16 inch shorter that the combined length of the 2 C cells that I took out of the maglight.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
My PVC is cut to 3 3/4", then wrapped with a narrow strip of duct tape at each end.

I just put some fresh batteries in mine, the ones I was using were half used to see how the KPR112 5 cell bulb would hold up. 10 minutes time so far with the new cells and still burning. VERY BRIGHT!! Looks like a spotlight. This is now my favorite low-buck mod.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
I got my Carley 808's today and put it in my Mag 2C with 4-123's. Holy crap, Batman!!! Does this thing light up the neighborhood or what? This is the best easy mod going. Thanks, Lemlux. By the way, I like my nonlens 808 better than the 808 with the lens in it. After trying this I also modded a 2C Pelilite Submersible I never liked with 3-123's. I put in the other 808 and gotta say this thing is pretty cool, especially considering it's waterproof. I need to get the appropriate Carley for it now too. Now which one?

StreamChucker

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
StreamChucker:

I'm glad you approve. You're the first other person to post using the 808 in the 4 * 123 Mag 2C.

Interesting observation about lens vs non lens. The lens is supposed to help in flood mode by filling in the center hole. In spot mode, the lensed mini-spot is very difficult to align cleanly with the focused beam.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
That's what I was expecting too but this may not be a fair evaluation. My lensed version wasn't potted straight in. It angles out of the pot a little bit. Regardless, with some WriteRight, this mod is simply awesome. Surefire owners would be jealous. For a mod that costs a total of less than $25.00 and kicks out more than 230 lumens it's hard to beat. The Mag 2C is a very comfortable carry. The Carley 808 (9.6v 1.2A) is much brighter yet than the Dewalt 9.6V .5 A lamp I was using up to this point. I'll be very curious to see this side by side with a 5W luxeon in this package with 3-123's driving it at 9V and 1.5 A. It would be somewhat equivalent to this one driving at 12V and 1.2A. If the 5W can beat this, I want one. Lemlux, you da man. By the way, I have this aluminum dimpled reflector that fits in my 2C that turns this into a an unrivaled flood light. I need to turn it into a focusing unit yet by gluing a piece of pipe on the bottom with an angled cut so it focuses in a Mag C. If Mr. Bulk ever promises to make LG5's in Mag 2C's, I'd like to try it in one. I'd be willing to give it to a modder working on this configuration to try out if they are interested and I'll figure out how to get more if it works. I've tried it by sticking it on the end of a Mr. Bulk LGI and it evens out the color and light pattern very nicely.

Streamchucker

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Lemlux and Streamchucker: How do you go about squeezing 4 123 lithiums in a Mag 2C??

Also, I've found two different Maglite 6 cell bulbs (both Krypton White Stars). One has a more rounded shape, the other has straighter sides. What's the difference? They both seem about the same brightness, but the more rounded one seems harder to focus to a tight beam.

Also, I didn't know about using the 5 cell bulb. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sotto:

You need to remove the spring from the endcap, grind down the inside-endcap annodizing for electrical contact, and use tubing a little shorter than 3 123's long to position the 3 batteries that aren't in the endcap.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing the 4-123's with the Carley 808 bulb is brighter than the 3-123's overdriving the KPR112 5-cell bulb? Is this correct?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have data about the KPR112 in front of me, but the Carley 5 cell krypton alkaline bulb is rated at 6.3 V .77 A and 106 Lumen. With 3 @ 123's it will be overdriven to more than that. The 808 will be underdriven to something slightly below 285 Lumen.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux - thanks for the insight. Also, I sent you some e-mail about a DB mod. Did you get it?

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lemlux:

I checked the Carley sight and I see the 808 is a bi-pin configuration. Could you share how you modify the Mag 2C bulb holder to take the bi-pin 808 please?

Thanks.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux - Just tried to send you a PM, but it says your mailbox is full. I'll try again later, or just have to wait until you get my e-mail. Thanks - Tim

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sotto

There are 2 ways to get the Carley T-2 1/2 bi-pin bulbs into a PR base. The preferred way is to have Carley use ceramic potting to put it into a PR base. This procedure has a 5-unit minimum and costs $1.65 per bulb to do. The other way is to buy a # 912 plug-in adapter for around $3.30. This adapter is only rated for 1.0 amps, but Patty at Carley says than she hears that lots of customers drive 1.2 Amp bulbs without heat problems.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux & Streamchucker -

lemlux, above you mentioned: "The 808 will be underdriven to something slightly below 285 Lumen" (with the 4 cr123's pushing it). So can you recomend a Carley bulb that would work with the 4 cr123's being overdriven, so that it would produce even more light?

Also I started sizing up my light for this mod, and I seem to have messed up my CR123's. The 4 of them are a really tight fit in there, and I seem to have pushed in the bottoms of the batteries. Has this happened to you as well?

And, lemlux stated the following talking about putting the 4 CR123's in to the 2c-cellMag: "You need to remove the spring from the endcap, grind down the inside-endcap annodizing for electrical contact, and use tubing a little shorter than 3 123's long to position the 3 batteries that aren't in the endcap."

So what are you doing with the 4th battery? Is it just staying in there from the tight fit?

Because the bottom of the CR123 is recessed, do you need to put some aluminum foil under the last battery and the end cap to make contact?

Thanks -