No Longer Lurking

Condoman

Newly Enlightened
I have been lurking for some time and finally found the time to join and share.

I have a condition you are all too familiar with. I do not know how bad it is but, have way too many lights for the casual user.

I belong to COSTCO, BJ's and Sam's and blame them for some of this. Occasionally they display these wonderful LED or incandescent torches that are just too easy to take home.

My latest find was a 1 watt Luxeon, 3 AAA, with pouch, lanyard, end clicky and free keychain LED included. I found this at Lowe's and thought I would take a chance on it. It is item #103289 and was marked $15.00 and change.

When I got home and sorted out my order I saw I was only changed $11.18. After checking the item out and liking the beam throw I decided to buy 4 more for gifts (good excuse huh). I have a pet peeve about the lens on any flashlight. If I cannot protect it with a pouch I prefer it have a replaceable lens. The same reason I buy a sky light filter the first thing before I put a new camera to work.

I don't know enough about the technical aspects of the LED's to explain more.

Here is a picture of the package (the pouch is on the flip side).

Flashlight001sm.jpg

conor

Newly Enlightened
Hey I stopped lurking today as well after lurking for almost a year. =)

Condoman

Newly Enlightened
Well now I don't feel so bad.

I don't begin to understand this affliction, but when the power goes off the others stop making fun of you.

Mad1

Enlightened
Hehe a comming out of the closet thread.

I'm also kinda new lurking for about a year then signed up a bit ago.

:twothumbs

Condoman

Newly Enlightened
I found this by Googling the model number (edited for correctness)
http://www.futailite.com/products.php?catg_code=photo-1-1

MODEL NO. FT-MS-3AAA 1W /6LED
DESCRIPTION: 1Watt Luxeon LED
FEATURES : Annodized aluminium finished by CNC Machines

New LED technology
1W Luxeon LED is 10 times brighter than standard LEDs
Extremely Long lasting
Extensive Lifetime of LED (100,000 hrs)
Water Resistant
OUTPUT POWER: 25 Lumins for 1W luxeon LED
BURN TIME:48 Hours
BATTERY TYPE: 3pcs 1.5V AAA Size Battery In Battery Container
BULB TYPE: 1 Watt Luxeon

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
You should test out those lights, I bought the exact combo back in Feb or March. The main light was defective and I had to return it. :awman:

At that time this combo cost considerably less than the main light by itself right next to it on the shelf.:huh2:

The other thing is the keychain light has the batteries already inside and the switch will latch on if I remember correctly. So test them for dead batteries where someone in the store turned it on and left it running.

And Welcome to CPF!

alberto

Enlightened
Glad you came out of the closet. Good post.

I wonder how many other lurkers are out there who have something useful to offer the group? Come out nooooooooooooooow.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I bought that same combo from Lowes on clearance for about $11 as well about 2 months ago....

I loved the shape, and size of it... so I started modding it....

I got my nice new reflector in.. and was working on a solution to make a 17670 sized lithium ion fit inside of it... and the tailcap switch suddenly stopped working... so that project is on the shelf for now untill I find a solution to the busted switch in the tailcap....

Personally... I HATED the beam pattern of it stock.... so I put a different reflector in it all together... there's some photos in a link in my signature...

Newuser01

Enlightened
Would any1 have beam shots comparo with known lights like dorcy 1 watter?
Does any1 have real world comparison on runtime also?

For this price, It may be the best deal on 1 watter now....

Just thinking.

Condoman

Newly Enlightened
Nice beam shots.

One of the issues I have with any flashlight is how to protect the lens from damage. A pouch is a good start when a light is tossed into a glove box or toolkit. On a daily basis I use this torch: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/re...o_luxeon2aa.htm. I like it because I was able to buy mineral glass to put in front of the plastic lens. If it gets scratched or damaged I just replace the protective cover.

When COSTCO had these on final sale I snapped up 12 of them. With only 4 in use I have a good fall back if I need to replace any.

Some torches I buy because I like the style or price. They often do not go any further than my desk at home. The COSTCO light is in my tool belt and on my second job 3 to 4 times each week.

I was using mini mags, but found after a week or so the bulb would develop a black area and light output was decreased. I was changing bulbs way too often. The 1 watt LED's seem to provide the beam pattern and throw I need most of the time, use a standard battery, fit in a head band for hands free work and have that all important lens I can replace.

One of these day I will have to take inventory of all the in use, new and never opened flashlights I have.