Help, my resistor is burning.

jkenny

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to make a plug-in Led light for my room and I'm using a 6.5 W Luxeon K2 with the LXK2-PW14-U00 bin. (http://www.ledsupply.com/05027-pw14.php)
Anyways I have a 12 v transformer I found to use with it. It is rated for 6V at 300 mA, but I measured it at 12.68V. I did the calculations, and unless I'm wrong then I should need about 6 ohms for my resistor. I purchased a bunch of resistors earlier and I chose to use a 10 ohm resistor. I soldered it up and within seconds the resistor was so hot it burned me. I quickly shut it off and found another, bulkier resistor, that hopefully wouldn't have the same problem, but no, after a few seconds of power it was noticeably hot. I don't know what I have to do to make this system work. I am an idiot when it comes to electronics, so can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Where would I get a resistor strong enough to handle this amount of current or voltage?

Last edited:

jkenny

Newly Enlightened
Well, that is indeed the problem, I need to head back to the electronics store to find a higher watt resistor. I'm not sure what the second one is rated for, but the first one that got hot was only a 1/4 watt resistor (stupid me...). Thanks for your help.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
as long as you keep the k2 well heat-sinked you can drive it to 1000ma.

the highest i recommend is 1350ma. more then that... smoke emitting diode.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easiest one to find off the shelf is either a 3 or 10 watt. Get the highest one you can fit in your assembly. Higher watt rating = larger size.

AW

Newly Enlightened
I have a K2 with the same bin driven at 1.2A ( battery draw 1.5A ) with no problem so far.

PICT0038.jpg

jkenny said:
I'm trying to make a plug-in Led light for my room and I'm using a 6.5 W Luxeon K2 with the LXK2-PW14-U00 bin. (http://www.ledsupply.com/05027-pw14.php)
Anyways I have a 12 v transformer I found to use with it. It is rated for 6V at 300 mA, but I measured it at 12.68V. I did the calculations, and unless I'm wrong then I should need about 6 ohms for my resistor. I purchased a bunch of resistors earlier and I chose to use a 10 ohm resistor. I soldered it up and within seconds the resistor was so hot it burned me. I quickly shut it off and found another, bulkier resistor, that hopefully wouldn't have the same problem, but no, after a few seconds of power it was noticeably hot. I don't know what I have to do to make this system work. I am an idiot when it comes to electronics, so can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Where would I get a resistor strong enough to handle this amount of current or voltage?

"6V 300mA" on a crappy unregulated AC adapter means that it will be 6V when it is loaded to 300mA.

You need to find an AC adapter rated for around 1.5A if you want to run the K2 at full power.

AW

Newly Enlightened
chesterqw said:
AW, what light is that!! i want one :p

A custom built with 2 inch turbo head, K2 with 3 brightness level, driven by a single 18650, a super sized tritium slot for 3 tritium vials.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh man... a custom built... i need to wait at least 5 years before i could even do that...

oh well... better get my plans ready :p

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about this? Instead of burning the power in a resistor, use another K2 in series. If it's a plug-in light, there's probably plenty of room for it.

Illum

Flashaholic
never touch a resistor when the circuit doesnt work or you smell burnt plastic after you close then open the circuit...I have burn marks on my finger after grabbing the resistor after the load didnt work [I was making a Solar USB charger and....ugh]

my resistor to 7805 IC literally got hot enough to belt all the solder off...