evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorlux? DorStar?
grin.gif

This:
dorcy.jpg

Now has these in it:

dmod2.jpg

A 1W LD (Q-rated!), 3x 2/3AA NiMH, a bit of resistance, and an NX05 optic (the plastic ring thingy holding it in needs to be changed)

A close up of the mounting:
dmod3.jpg

That's a copper disk in the front of the tube. The switch assembly had to be trimmed down becuase it normally sits flush with the end of the tube.

The copper disk was a real PITA! I used all the wrong tools to craft a .075" thick disk from 3 .025" copper pieces. This involved cutting disks, shaping them to be circular, putting them together, and grinding them down to the right diameter with a power drill and file.

I think I'll be carrying this around with me.

-Darin

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nice mod!

i saw one of those at k-mart the night before last, was kind of tempted to get it, but got the 3d instead...$10

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
evan9162,

Cool!

Looks like a lot of work went into that copper heatsink, but it looks like it will keep that Luxeon nice and cool.

I bet it's bright with those batteries; nice to see more rechargeables in mods.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all,

After looking at it again, I think I may keep the plastic ring. It seats VERY tightly in the head, and keeps the optic perfectly centered. It also protrudes about 1/16" - so it offers some protection to the optic that way (without affecting the beam shape at all).

As for the copper - next time (if there is one
wink.gif
) I'll look for some 1/8" or thicker plate to start from.

It definitely sinks very well. On very used batteries, it ran about 450mA. After only a minute, the top of the tube was getting warm. On my Garrity mod (running at the same current), it takes 15 minutes or so before the tube gets warm - I didn't to a great job on joining the thermal path on that mod - here's a comparison:

Dorcy - Emitter -> Copper disk -> body
Garrity - Emitter -> Al pedistal -> threaded brass cap -> threaded body.

I know in the Garrity the Al -> brass interface isn't too good, and the brass-> body is also not great.

I only have one set of the batteries (they belong to this and my garrity 2AA mod) so I need to order more. Someday, I'll build a mod that takes normal batteries
tongue.gif

-Darin

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just measured the current:

Fresh NiMH (2/3AA, 650mAh)
1A @ 3.5V! (3.5W)
shocked.gif

After 5 minutes:
670mA @ 3.4V (~2.3W)
cool.gif
much better