New headtorch from Petzl, the e+LITE

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
And they say we look geeky with headlamps. This may set a new standard. Still, at 27g (~1 oz) it might make sense for us gram counters, or as a backup. I like the red + white.
The light level looks like it'll be comparable to the Tikka XP on low (usable, but not impressive). I wonder what it'll cost?
--Walter

mrme

Enlightened
I wonder what kind of battery it uses. 2032's like the PT Scout?

The BD Ion is a great light, but the battery is terrible. Weight and bulk are of tremendous importance in your first aid and emergency gear when you are packing rock climbing equipment around.

If this new kid on the block weighs less, uses a more efficient battery and is waterproof, I will probably get at least one. I just hope the price is reasonable when it goes to market here. Petzl is pretty proud of their stuff.

Jiffy

Newly Enlightened
Don't let the stated price put you off! That's just the UK price which we have to pay. :mad:

It's the same price as the plain old Tikka. So it's pretty good value since it's so well featured but is at the bottom end of the price scale for their LED headlamps.

nzbazza

Enlightened
More more photos and info on the Petzl e+LITE here:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/4053/v/1/sp/

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/4051/v/1/sp/

These articles don't mention the battery type except to say "lithium watch batteries" so I'm guessing either CR2032/CR2016 or LR44's. Either way don't expect great performance apart from the first 5 minutes.

I think that the design is quite innovative, with some nice design touches such as the rotary switch and the ball joint. But surely they could of fitted in a decent capacity cell such as a CR2?

nzbazza

Enlightened
Also found this preview from Doug Ritter on his blog:
http://www.equipped.org/blog/

Petzl e+LITE

petzl_e+lite.jpg
Petzl introduced their e+LITE "emergency headlamp," the smallest headlamp in their line. There are a trio of 5mm white LEDs and a 3mm red LED. Weight is 0.9 oz (26 g) with its pair of 2032 3v lithium coin cells (10 year storage life). Packed in its storage case, it weighs 1.6 oz (45g). There's a lever action switch to the side of the LEDs with 8 positions. In the lock position, the switch handle is almost flush with the case to help prevent inadvertent switching, Rotating counterclockwise (when looking at ti form the front) the switch positions are: Off, Economy (low brightness), High, Flashing White, Flashing Red, Steady Red and then another OFF position. The switch is easy to operate one handed and once moved off the Lock position, can be operated with heavy gloves on.

To give you an idea of scale, the circular switch portion of the e+LITE is almost exactly the size of a quarter.

The single elastic headband has a plastic cord-lock style slide for quick adjustment. The plunger on this also does double duty as a tool to open the battery compartment. The light can be removed from the headband easily via slotted attach points and then can be clipped to a cap or clothing using a broad spring clip that's integrated into the backplate. This spring clip will only accommodate relatively thin surfaces; a cap visor would be about the maximum. Using the clip, the easy way is to slip it onto a stiff mounting point, such as a visor, because it was a bit difficult to manipulate manually (think: paper clip). It does not squeeze open like a conventional clip.

For storage the backplate is folded up against the face of the light. For use, it rotates behind the case using a ball and socket attachment on the bottom of the light, presenting a smooth surface to your head. This ball and socket allows a wide range of adjustment both up and down and side to side.

It comes in a translucent red hard plastic storage case with its slip-on cap held in place with an o-ring that wraps around the perimeter of the case. The light itself has a black body with red switch and backplate. It's rated waterproof to 1 meter.

At $30 MSRP, the e+LITE costs twice that of my current favorite micro-headlamp, Essential Gear's eQ Hands-Free Multi-Light (which is also available as a Doug Ritter Special Edition with a yellow case). With three LEDs, on high setting battery life is rated at 35 hours, but would inevitably be at least half to one-third compared to the eQ with a single LED and the same batteries. Petzel claims 45 hours on the "economic" setting." Petzel claims 16 lumens on high in a flood pattern, no focusing lens, but it's difficult to compare output since there is no industry standard. Subjectively, it is certainly brighter than the single LED eQ at short ranges, with wider illumination, but the difference is much narrower at longer range when the lens comes into its own. On economy the e+LITE is quite a bit dimmer than the single LED eQ, but plenty adequate for reading and finding your way down a trail or around camp in the dark. Options are nice.

Bottom line is that it performs quite a few more tricks, at the expense of the KISS principle and a much higher price. Still, the price is quite reasonable for all that's there. Any way you look at it, it appears to be a very nice package and very well thought out. Availability is listed as January 2007, though the Petzl representative indicated there may be limited availability for the 2006 Holiday season.

mrme

Enlightened
2032 batteries are good enough for me. It is now on my wish list.
I have come to dislike 2016 batteries. They cost the same as 2032's, the saved weight and space are negligible and just don't last.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
this new headlamp is too expensive. It is better to carry tikka XP instead of buying this thing. it is just extra junk in the closet.

Jiffy

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like it's aimed at climbers doing day routes who just want a headtorch for emergencies. The features and switch design are interesting and I wonder we'll see them on other designs.

mrme

Enlightened
Jiffy said:
It sounds like it's aimed at climbers doing day routes who just want a headtorch for emergencies. The features and switch design are interesting and I wonder we'll see them on other designs.

Right on.

An emergency headlamp has to be very small and light. Aftrer nearly dieing for lack of a headlamp once, I keep a couple of BD Ions with my climbing gear in my first aid kit. If they were even as big as Tikkas, I would be looking for any excuse to leave them out of the pack and probably not have them when I need them. I don't even like the bulk and weight of the PT Scout, flimsy parts aside.

When I know I will be out after dark, I pack my BD Gemini with spare batteries. You only need a light with throw on the person in front. Everyone else could follow with just about anything. These would be great for following.

This will not be the best light for someone who goes on night hikes. But I would venture that backpackers and other niches will fall in love with it.