wanted: alternate-color photons ...

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Hi bernhard.
Good to hear that your girlfriend is a fellow torchie!
I have the LED Club keychain torch in blue..it is a great little torch for a pound and is available in Red, yellow, Green, blue, cyan and white. Each torch is supplied with replaceable Lithium cells.
For such a tiny device it is incredibly bright!
Looking at the construction it looks as though t could be quite easy to change the LED colours so that you can put your own in. The torch comes in two battery configurations to accommodate all LED types. The Red and Yellow torches could be modded with yellowish green and Orange LED's, and the cyan, Green, white and blue torches may be modded with purple LED's or any phosphor-based LED (lemon yellow and "hot pink" being phosphor based).
Some of these LED's ae quite rare and expensive, but Don Klipstein's website at http://www.misty.com will direct you to suppliers of some of the rarer colours.
I could supply you with the LED Club torches, at £1 each plus p & P. The more common LED's are avilable from most electronics retailers.
I've never taken my torch to bits but it does have a translucent case. I aven' modded one yet, but it looks as if it could be quite a simple job....
Matt.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hey you brave modders out there !

is there someone who can mod a few photon II's with other LEDs with different colors for me and my beloved girlfriend?
we would like royal blue, real yellow, pink, greenish yellow and deep red id this was possible ...

would be really great, since I have absolutely no affiliation with electronics and assembling stuff ... and we really want every possible LED-color in our collection. thanx.

bernhard

(of course we would pay)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
would that be doable with photon II's ?
we already startded a "color-collection" with photons and do like them quite a lot, so it would be nice to continue on that road.
or are they too difficult to mod?
bernhard

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I've not really handled any photon torches but I guess that they're similar in construction to the LED Club torch.
Generally we convert from filament to LED... its rare to convert torch from LED to LED unless there is a brightness advantage.
What colour torches have you got so far?

Albany Tom

Enlightened
You know, I read this topic title four times, and kept saying to myself "you can't change the color of photons. They're sub-atomic particles." I think I need sleep badly.

That said, this is a nice idea. I like cool colored lights too, although I prefer to assemble (and often break) my own. Good luck.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
untill now I have all the color range that the photons can offer. therefore I would be looking to "fill the gaps", like I said in my starting statement.
where would you buy those other leds?
bernhard

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put a white LED in an older yellow photon 2. Its real easy. Just cut the wirest to the same length as the original then bend them the same way. The bend affects the feel and sensitivity of the switch so it may take it a couple tries to get it how you like it. I also file off the small little wings/ buldge on the LED wire that goes into the switch. I'm not sure this was necesssary.
Its even easier to do a photon 1. since you don't need to get the switch right. Plus the P1's are cheaper if you don't need the switch.