Reverse clickie to forward clickie.

x2x3x2

Banned
How does a reverse clickie function?
Would it be possible to disassemble one, flip it over and have it functioning like a normal forward clickie?

savumaki

Enlightened
TooManyGizmos said:
:ohgeez:...... (my reply) ..... NO

........ (his reaction) ..................:rant::mad::awman:

(game over - tilt)

:laughing: I even read this post (knowing the answer) in my on going search for a momentary on switch.:dedhorse:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been figuring that if you put a cell phone keypad switch on top of a reverse clicky (under the rubber cover - which may need some modding to make room) then you can just jump (activate/bypass) the switch whenever you are pressing on it.

I tried to find such tiny foil-like switches in DigiKey's catalog after being told someone else got them there, but alass to no avail. I'm about to tear apart an old cell phone and PDA I have...

I saw a thread where someone did that very thing with home-made aluminum (ahem, aluminium) foil contacts strategically placed on the switch and body that would contact any time the switch was pressed down. An innovative and imaginative mod, but I'm not sure foil would live very long. But who knows?

If anyone has a source for super low profile, small diameter (~6mm or less) momentary switch with ~1lb / 4.5N / 0.5kgf activation force... let us know.

Robban

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
I saw a thread where someone did that very thing with home-made aluminum (ahem, aluminium) foil contacts strategically placed on the switch and body that would contact any time the switch was pressed down. An innovative and imaginative mod, but I'm not sure foil would live very long. But who knows?

If anyone has a source for super low profile, small diameter (~6mm or less) momentary switch with ~1lb / 4.5N / 0.5kgf activation force... let us know.
Could this be the thread you're thinking of? A pretty simple way (although not very elegant) way to make the switch "tactical":
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/68881&page=1&pp=30

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
Very thin momentary switches can be made out of click domes (often used in membrane switches, game controllers, etc.)

http://www.clikdomes.com/

I bought a couple hundred off ebay once, to replace cracked domes in some of my old game controllers.

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
How does a reverse clickie function?
Would it be possible to disassemble one, flip it over and have it functioning like a normal forward clickie?

To see how a reverse clickie works click here

It's also in my signature Inside the Fenix L1P switch

Unfortunately there is no way to make a normal clickie out of a reverse clickie that easily- not saying it can't be done without tons of engineering, just not that easily.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
SuperNinja said:
Very thin momentary switches can be made out of click domes (often used in membrane switches, game controllers, etc.)

I bought a couple hundred off ebay once, to replace cracked domes in some of my old game controllers.
Nice, do you have a few of those left you can sell me? The Clickdome people want 1000pc minimum order. Though they do have some nice small 5mm PCB ones RxDFW and TxDFW.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
Nice, do you have a few of those left you can sell me?
I still have a bunch. I can send you a few.

Note:
The ones that I have are a little too big though. They are about 9mm in diameter.
It might be possible to trim each leg slightly to get it down to 6mm. But I think that might also reduce the "clickyness" of it. They metal is thin enough to cut with decent scissors.

Last edited:

Robban

Enlightened
SuperNinja said:

I tried to do this privately but you've disabled both PM's and e-mail hehe.

Just wondering what type of search terms you used on Ebay to find them? I've tried every variation I can think of and nothing comes up. The companies I've found that sell them have redicolous minimum orders (>$800 as an example...)

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Robban said:
I tried to do this privately but you've disabled both PM's and e-mail hehe.
Sorry, I'll fix that in a second.

Robban said:
Just wondering what type of search terms you used on Ebay to find them? I've tried every variation I can think of and nothing comes up. The companies I've found that sell them have redicolous minimum orders (>$800 as an example...)
Here they are:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=atari+repair+kit&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=33405&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

I see those auctions are also from the same guy that I bought mine from over 3 years ago.
It looks like he is the only person on eBay that is selling them.

Remember, those will also be around 9mm in diameter.

I never asked him if he had different sizes though.

Last edited:

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Regarding small momentary switches, look into these (SMD pushbutton switches) too:

G13795T.jpg
0.2" sq. x 0.05" thick (5mm sq. x 1.27mm thick)

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1182

Item #'s (same item, different quantites)
G13795 - 10 for $1.00
G13795A - 100 for $8.00
G13795B - 1000 for $50.00

And here are some SMD on-off switches:

http://www.seniorindustries.com/HTML/listing.asp?SubCat=5 (No prices shown, so might be wholesale and/or expensive)

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't really a true solution, but rather a workaround. I tried this with my Fenix L2T, which has a reverse clickie. Here's my super-complicated process:

1. Reverse-click it on.
2. Unscrew the tailcap just slightly (about a radian on the L2T).
3. Press the tailcap rim instead of the clickie button.

Granted, that turns it into a light that has constant-on only by twisting, but I think there are other lights that have press-momentary/twist-constant.

If you don't unscrew the tailcap very far, it's probably still waterproof, although you could get some accidental activation.