Surefire LOTC vs Clickie

cy

Flashaholic
Surefire LOTC vs Clickie... (lotc=lock out tailcap)

Had a scary occurance on my Surefire L6. Operator error of course. anyways... been carrying L6 in backpack. L6 accidentlly got clicked on. luckily light was powerful enough to shine thru fabric.

imediately picked up L6 to turn off. it was HOT! amost too hot to hold (140+ degrees) quickly unscrewed tailcap and dumped out batteries.

PHEW.... with all the lithium failures being reported. one has to be careful. I did use ZTS and check to see all 3 surefire cells were 100% before loading. (personally I will not use current battery station cells in multi-cell applications) I'll be switching to 2x 17500 li-ion real soon. no reported failures using li-ion cell so far.

Now I've changed to LOTC, so light cannot be easily stuck on. Next up will be convert to McGizmo two stage...

clicky is convient, but LOTC is safer......

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
Cant you unscrew the clickie just a bit? and lock it out?
I can on my L5.

I really wish the L6 head fit the M/C series stuff, Id grab a L6 head.
Like my L5 alot though, wish my EDC U2 had its bright white beam.

~John

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
yeah i have an e2e with the clickie and you can unscrew it a bit to lock it out.

cy

Flashaholic
yep unscrewing clickie will lock it out. but what if you forget?

LOTC will only stay on when pressed...
two stage LOTC is so much nicer than. twistie on/off, clickie hi/low two stage clickie.

worst case.... if cells are running away internally. no light will be forcoming, so one would think it's actually clicked off.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use both a clickie (SW02) and a lotc on my L5. When transporting lights I typically turn both tailcaps to lock them out. When I unpack the lights I reset the tailcaps. I think it is unlikely to accidentally turn on my L5 with the SW02 due to the clickie's location within the rubber shroud. However, I still won't take a chance.

That said, I still think the lockout feature of the Gladius is superior.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TW4 has gone off in my pocket more times than I like, but I LOVE the quickness of a clicky. Does the KL6 run in regulation on 8.4V?

cy

Flashaholic
yup L6 has no problem running in regulationn with lessor voltage...