pocket zorch 120 lumens from elektrolumens

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
i have a few comment for this 'my-brightest' pocket light ever!
grin.gif

firstly i just surfing on elektrolumens page then found out this 'cyborg' pocket light, then ask if wayne sell it or not, then he say he could make 1 for me .

after days of tests in my hand, i have concluded few things:

1. this is the brightest pocket light i've ever had.

2. it run smoothly for +- 43 minutes.
elektrolumens said it will run about 30 minutes with 9v alkaline batt.
i've test to run with NiMH rechargeable 8.4V 120mA (not 150mA) , and it run smoothly for +- 43 minutes!

in my self opinion , its deliver bright light for about 20 minutes, than useful light for about 23 minutes , until its diminished quickly.

its amazing. i think wayne doesn't have enough time to test the real capability of this pocket light
smile.gif

3. it fit very well in my pants pocket.(after smoothing the edges a little bit)

4. The heat sink is dependable. after running the light for the whole 43 minutes, the body near the light is still cold!
do i have a normal sense ? its not warm or even hot.
i still wonder about this. and i believe , my hands is still normal. hhehehe
tongue.gif

im hoping elektrolumens create the new pocket zorch, using 4 5W LS, with 4 9V battery.
that will create a massive 480 lumens of light!
near magnum M6 !

smile.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I didn't think of rechargables at the time I made it. I did just purchase some 200mAh 9V batteries. They are true 9V, not 8.4. Expensive little buggers. I'll see what runtime I get with it. I'd like to hook up both 9V in parallel. Each battery is supposed to supply 400mA for 20 minutes, so combined, should last 20 minutes for the 5W at 700 to 800mA.

Here's a pic:

Pocket.Zorch.1.jpg

A web page:

Pocket Zorch

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne, would that make it 18 volts going to the LED then, or how do you parallel them?

Also, you made mention that the battery got hot. Is there a danger of explosion with a light like this?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see. So, would using the two 9v batteries cause 2 less hot 9v battery, or would you have two 9v batteries being as hot as if you were only using one?

Now, just to clarify on the parallel battery thing. Would you connect both positive wires together, then to the positive terminal on the LS (and the same with the negative wires), or would you have two actual wires being soddered to the LS terminals?

Thanks for the great discussion!

Orion

JoeyL

Enlightened
That looks pretty cool
But wait a minute...How do you figure 120 lumens from a single luxeon?
Is this a special bulb?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that the shape has a lot of sharp coners for stuff to get hooked on, fabric to get torn... etc.... you planning on a cover for it?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you figure 120 lumens from a single luxeon?
Is this a special bulb?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The 5 Watt Luxeons produce 120 lumens each...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by JoeyL:
That looks pretty cool
Is this a special bulb?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's a 5 watt LS, it's spec sheet says it's 120 lumens.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Nerd:
I find that the shape has a lot of sharp coners for stuff to get hooked on, fabric to get torn... etc.... you planning on a cover for it?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If I were to ever get serious about this, yes, definately, it should be in some kind of housing. I just did it to see if it would work. It does.

If you look carefully at the optics holder, you'll sort of see it is on a plate, on a plate, so to speak. I actually made the 5W cyan like a LXHL-NW98. It actually could bolt right onto something. I was going to bolt it onto the aluminum sled sink, but I epoxied it on instead.

Unfortunately, I have run out of optics holders, so now I make the optics holders from 3/4" copper pipe.

Wayne J.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by JoeyL:
That looks pretty cool
Is this a special bulb?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello Joey,
Haven't you heard? Oh boy!
shocked.gif

The 5 watt Luxeon Star,
Is the brightest Luxeon Star,
Lumens it has one twenty
That is light a plenty,
Brighter than the others by far!

Wayne the don't know-it poet
grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA batteries? The best I have seen comes in 750 mah capacities. That's like the current draw of the Zorch.... prolly less than an hour?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Orion:
Wayne, would that make it 18 volts going to the LED then, or how do you parallel them?

Also, you made mention that the battery got hot. Is there a danger of explosion with a light like this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In parallel, both positives are connected and negatives are connected, so the voltage is 9V.

When the batteries put out a lot of current, it generates internal resistance, and this causes the battery to get warm or even hot. This happens especially when the batteries get near their end. With rechargables we do not want the batteries to go that low.

Explosion is not going to happen. The only time a battery exploded on me is when I put in 4 AA batteries into something, and one was in the wrong way. It just popped and fizzed.

Lithium in it's pure form is potentially explosive. Lithium batteries use a form of Lithium that is not explosive, I've heard.

Wayne J.