*updated* - M@gL1ght shootout - mods, beamshots, etc.!

ab

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I know I've mentioned being pretty unsatisfied with my M@gL1ght collection before.(!) I've been working on fixing that situation. :>

Today I did a full-on comparison between four M@gL1ghts I have on hand right now:

2C my juiced-up version (details below)
2D
3C overdriving "2 cell Japan" bulb (details below)
4D

Without too much further ado here's the goods:

the collection seen in profile

mag-comparison-profile.jpg

set up for testing - beams are shining onto ceiling ~9.5' feet up

mag-comparison-table.jpg

Results! Set up as above...

mag-comparison-beams.jpg

The CLEAR winner here is my juiced-up 2C. Definitely the best brightness, pattern, focus, etc. Next is my 3C overdriving the much-vaunted "2 cell Japan" bulb, then the 4D, and way way down on the bottom of the pile we find the lowly (and cruddy) 2D.

The juiced-up M@g 2C consists of a standard 2C with C-cells replaced by 2/3A 1000 mAh NiMh batteries and a cell spacer. I also have a set of 1/2C NiCads that work well in here. In fact the 1/2C's are slightly better since they don't require any modifications to the tailspring assembly. Bulb is the standard Mag 3-cell bulb. Lens is UCL from flashlightlens.

The 2D is a standard 2D M@g with standard bulb, batteries, lens, etc. No mods.

The 3D is a standard 3D M@g driving the by-now-famous "2 cell Japan" bulb. No other mods.

The 4D is the standard 4D M@g. No mods.

All were given fresh batteries before the test. The juiced-up 2C version's NiMh batteries were *charged up*.

So at this point I'm very happy with the 2C and will be moving on to the 2D next. There are 2 versions of this mod:

Version 1 - I'm installing a 6AA battery holder in it configured for series/parallel operation (ie: 2 sets of 3 AA alkaline batteries in series for total 4.5V) and a 4-Nichia white 9200 mcd PR-based bulb. With common 2850 mAH AA cells that should run at 120 mA for 20 to 25 hours at full brightness of approximately 36 cd with declining brightness for a long time after that.

Version 2 for the same light uses another 6AA battery holder, this time configured for series operation, so 6 x AA NiMh = 7.2V at 1850 mAH. With this I will overdrive the Mag 5C bulb. Drawing 800 mA draw at 6 Volts I expect it do more like 1000 mA at 7.2V. That should yield about an hour of very bright light and declining brightness after that.

Finally, just to put all of this back into correct perspective...

Here is a comparison between my juiced-up 2C from above and the Tigerlight. (Try to guess which is which)
winkie.GIF

mag-comparison-2c-and-tigerlight.jpg

Although that is pretty well a spanking by the Tigerlight the juiced-up 2C is definitely to be commended. It *was* fairly well trampled by the tiger but even getting out on the same field with that sucker is an accomplishment!

A.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great!

Please keep going! I gotta find something really bright to do with that heavy old 2D thing that's been sitting on the shelf in the basement stairway ever since I bought a Surefire.

ab

Enlightened
Hi Peter,

If you like I will happily work with you to build your bedraggled 2D M@gL1te into either of my M@g 2D mod versions: you could select from either the hyper-extended life white LED version for extended power outs, etc. or the juiced-way-up 7.2V version with overdriven bulb, etc. for really bright performance.

Drop me a message if you'd like to discuss further!

A.

moraino

Enlightened
Aaron,

Thanks for the checking. It's a bit weird that it sometimes does work. I tried at my friend's home and it didn't work. My home is OK. Does it work now???

I hope you like my mod. See you later.

Henry

moraino

Enlightened
Originally posted by B@rt:
Hi Moraino,
If you are talking about the pics you posted in that thread, they show.
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">B@rt,

Really appreciate it. I actually re-do everthing again. The strange thing is the image URLs are exactely the same. Doo doo doo do, we are in the twilight zone.

Henry

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
abohnen -- That's a great offer, thank you! I'm swamped with schoolwork right now but I'd like to take a raincheck for just a couple weeks from now if I may. I'm a lumen addict, so I'd definitely head for brightness over longevity.

moraino -- I'm not seeing the pics. Is there a more general server name than "us.f1.yahoofs.com/..." Seems like it'd either be a server delegation or an authorization issue if you can see the pics but we can't, and since Bart was able to see the pics at one time that seems to narrow it to getting the server name right. Just a guess though. YMMV.
[edit] session or login might have redirected to a non-front-door server.

moraino

Enlightened
Binky,

Sorry it doesn't work quite well. Here is my photo website. http://photos.yahoo.com/pilgrim1956
Please let me know if you have any problem.

B@rt sujjest me to upload my picture to Photo nation or something...I'll do it later when I'm have time.

Study hard and don't get blinded. Take care.

Henry

ab

Enlightened
EDIT - they are 2/3A 1000 mAh in my juiced-up 2C, not 1/3AA as originally posted. That was a mega-typo!

A.

p.s. - original post now also edited...

ab

Enlightened
Made another leap forward with the modded M@gL1tes today - finished the juiced-up 2D model.

Here are today's contestants:

2C (juiced!) - our current defending champion. This light runs on four 1000 mAh 2/3A NiMh and overdrives a standard M@g 3-cell bulb. It is also outfitted with a UCL lens courtesy of flashlightlens.com.

2D (juiced!) - a new entry into the field. 2D was stock last time and turned out to be our least competitive entry. In fact, 2D should have stayed home last time. Today 2D is back after having undergone a full refit and overhaul. 2D is now driven by six 1800 mAh AA NiMh overdriving a standard M@g 5-cell bulb. 2D's lens has also been changed in favour of Borofloat courtesy of flashlightlens.com

4D (stock) - our third place finisher in the last shootout, 4D is looking to keep its' lead over 2D in today's competition. 4D is exactly stock and is running on a set of four new Maxell alkaline D cells. 4D is fighting a severe weight and maneuverability penalty against the two smaller competitors here. My wife says that it makes up those deficiencies with "whack factor" - this is why 4D is her bedside flashlight. (careful there burglars!)
twak.gif

today's shootout contestants:
mag-comparison-table-2.jpg

Results! set up as above:
mag-comparison-beams-2.jpg

The clear winner here is my juiced-up 2D. And remember how convincingly 2C trounced the rest of the field last time!(see the start of this thread for a recap)

Definitely the best brightness now goes to 2D although it does give up just a little in pattern and focus to the juiced-up 2C. (aside: I think the M@g C reflectors are slightly better than the D reflectors - this is not the first time I've noticed this and I believe others have mentioned it as well.) Way, way down on the bottom of the pile we find poor old 4D. Great for whacking but definitely showing a little weakness in the providing-of-light department. (!)

The juiced-up 2D was converted to 6AA by means of a modified 6AA battery holder. This fits in the M@g 2D without any trouble. Quality of parts and contacts is good the adaptor uses high-temperature tinned and double insulated wire.

I made a couple of extra of these so if anyone here would like to juice-up! their 2D just drop me a message and we can do a deal.

Today's conclusion: stock M@gs = boring. Juiced-up! M@gs = much more exciting!

A.

p.s. - just wait and see what I have planned for my wife's bedside 4D burglar bat... the burlars will be beaten and blinded all at once!

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much for the 6AA holder? Will you also supply the required bulb?

Now, I just gotta find my NiMH's I have around somewhere...

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ab:
I'll be announcing a series of M@gL1te upgrade kits soon. Keep your eyes open!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Make a regulated single luxeon for a 2 cell M@g and I'll be your slave.

ab

Enlightened
Won't be long now for the launch of a full series of Juiced Up! M@gL1te upgrade kits...

smile.gif

A.

p.s. - radellaf, Dat2Zip has the boards for what you want to do and Lambda has the heatsinks. Shouldn't be problem at all to do what you're suggesting. In fact Elektrolumens may even be working on a Luxeon drop-in kit for the M@g 2C. You might want to ask him about it...

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
He just sold a great regulated Mag 2D with a luxeon on the buy/sell forum. It was a bit more than I'd like to pay, but hey, when else do you ask for something that doesn't exist and it shows up the next day. Alas, a buyer also showed up <surprise>.

'course what would be "more perfect" is the mod as a kit that would just screw in to any 2-cell mag.

randy740

Newly Enlightened
I too would be interested in having a kit for a 3d mag more interested in luxeon because of longevity probably not much run time with juiced up incandesents

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have the 2D-luxeon-DC/DC I was looking for, now I guess the quest will be for a 4D cell driving about 3W worth of LEDs. I imagine my best bet will be to wait for underdriven 5W Mag mods. Sure would be nice to get away from the linear cell arrangement in them to something with two sets of two next to each other.

Three of georges80's boards:
http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/led.html
would also work but, again, heatsinking would be a *****. Inretech's Trilight would be a suitable LED/heatsink set, but kind of a waste to hack a Mag hack for use in a lantern.

I doubt there'd be room in the Mag 4D's head for the Trilight and 3 of those boards, though.