gerber lx 3.0

cyfun

Newly Enlightened
I have purchesed a gerber Lx 3.0. I have heard that you can use nimh batteries safely in this light and gain more lumans. Is this true? if so what is recomended?
I know that it does not work with lithum batteries. Also are there any other tricks I need to know about this light?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an LX 3.0 a while back and liked it. I did use 3xAA NiMH cells in it without problems (don't know what Gerber says about NiMHs in this light).

I don't recall any addl. output vs. alkies, but since the light is direct drive (no regulation), I liked using NiMHs so that I could simply charge them up after an hr. or so of use and maintain good output.

dk0013

Newly Enlightened
I have a TX 3.0 (pretty much the same light) and it runs fine on nimh. Since it is direct drive, you'll get slightly less output with nimh because of the lower voltage of the cells, but the output is curve is much flatter, ie brightness does not dim as fast as the batteries are used up. You will however get less warning that the batteries are going and the output will drop much more suddenly than alkalines. The voltage with lithiums is too high and will fry the LED.