New PT Apex will weigh only 6.1 ounces!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they reduce the price by about half, it might be able to compete with Streamlight's Argo HP or Nuwai/Favourlight's HLX-712L. Each of those have multiple, regulated brightness levels, good environmental protection, and run on 2xCR123A.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome! Thanks for the thread!

I wonder if they will sell it as an optional battery pack for others who already have the 4xAA... having the choice to use AA's i think is important...

i think a PT Apex 2x123's isn't anywhere near a the streamlight argohp (a nasty purple side emitting lux1)... or a nuwai 2x123 (where people have complained of their battery clips snapping)... A PT headlamp running a sinked 3watt is beyond anything currently on the market... PT's water resistant properties are amazing...

---

Lord please allow princeton tec to make a intergrated headlamp that runs off of 1x(r)cr123... has a reflector and uses a red 5mm led for nightvision... there waterproof packages is are so awesome... princeton tec is so awesome! :)

Last edited:

nzbazza

Enlightened
Tuna, thanks for the link!

Jar3ds, I hear your prayer and I wish it was so.

On a related note I wish that there was/is a "mini" apex, a 2AA Lux1/4x5mmLED headlamp version with heatsink, IPX7 rating and regulated output ala the Silva L3/brunton L1. Maybe even have interchangable/remote battery packs for two battery types either 2AA or 1(R)CR123A!

I'll start a petition here. Here's hoping that PT read this!

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i always hope PT listens to my suggestions :)... They make good lights and they are priced very well in my mind... all the R&D they do their prices are very reasonable..

Personally I'd like to have a 1x14500 headlamp... seems like you'd get decent runtime and it would be SMALL and light weight :)

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
this makes me think of those exploding 123s...

for one to blow up in your hand, that's bad...but what about two blowing up on your head?

Haz

Enlightened
Illumination said:
this makes me think of those exploding 123s...

for one to blow up in your hand, that's bad...but what about two blowing up on your head?

I was thinking on the same line too, i would not want to carry a ticking timebomb on my head.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's a bomb, I guess, but it's neither ticking nor a timebomb. That makes it sound like it's an eventuality, but "venting with flame" is pretty rare.

There already are 2xCR123A headlights - I have two of them (SL Argo HP and FL HLX-712L). It would definitely ruin my day if one exploded, but I'm not overly worried about it, since I don't go through very many CR123As.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
well... personally I don't really see the benifit... I don't like lithium primaries...

even if I had this battery pack i'd use 1xrcr123 and a dummy... i trust protected rcr123's much more than lithiums...

but i'd just assume use a protected 14500 and 3 lightweight dummy spacers in the standard carrier... it would be a neat mod to make the Apex run in parallel w/ 4x14500's... that way you could pick 1-4 14500's depending on runtime needs and weight... (a SilverFox EOS mod idea applied to the Apex)

people that own an apex... can you 'unplug' the cable from the battery carrier?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
well... personally I don't really see the benifit... I don't like lithium primaries...

even if I had this battery pack i'd use 1xrcr123 and a dummy... i trust protected rcr123's much more than lithiums...

but i'd just assume use a protected 14500 and 3 lightweight dummy spacers in the standard carrier... it would be a neat mod to make the Apex run in parallel w/ 4x14500's... that way you could pick 1-4 14500's depending on runtime needs and weight... (a SilverFox EOS mod idea applied to the Apex)

people that own an apex... can you 'unplug' the cable from the battery carrier?

I think the Apex can safely run using 2 Li-ions (this was stated by PT in a thread where somebody ran his of 2 18650s) so no need for a dummy.

AFAIK you can't unplug the cord, but if you cut it and add some waterproof conectors you should be golden. And be able to use home made or store bought battery carriers of the kind you like.
This mod is on my ever-growing things-to-do list;)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
NoFair said:
I think the Apex can safely run using 2 Li-ions (this was stated by PT in a thread where somebody ran his of 2 18650s) so no need for a dummy.

AFAIK you can't unplug the cord, but if you cut it and add some waterproof conectors you should be golden. And be able to use home made or store bought battery carriers of the kind you like.
a thread I read said that it was using a phone li-ion pack that was rated at 7.4v or something... not the full bore 8.4... PT said it would be ok up to that amount..

I would like to know if it could take 8.4v...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
a thread I read said that it was using a phone li-ion pack that was rated at 7.4v or something... not the full bore 8.4... PT said it would be ok up to that amount..

I would like to know if it could take 8.4v...

If you read this candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102883&highlight=apex he states that PT said 8.4V was OK.

I was a bit sceptical at first as well, but if the driver takes it it should be OK.

I've been thinking of running it off a single 18650, but I'm not sure it won't step down the brightness thinking I'm using depleted AAs....

Sverre

Edit: Hope I didn't come of too harsh on that one. I suddenly realized I was late for a meeting and just posted....

Last edited:

mrme

Enlightened
NoFair said:

PT used to sell a headlmap that had AA batteries in the front and a wire coming out where you could plug in a C cell battery holder that clips onto a belt. The plug had a rubber cover you could plug the hole with. It was called the Switchback. If I remember right, it had a dual filament bulb and LEDs. It was pretty pricey and not very popular.

So they did something similar once. Whether that makes them more or less likely to try it again could be debated.

Brlux

Enlightened
Hi I am the one who modded my Apex to run on a 2 cell Li-ion cell phone battery. I have ran it fresh off the caharger many many times with no ill effects and PT said it would be ok. I love my APEX with my Li-ion pack and I think the new APEX with the 2 X 123 pack is a very good think. It will work beautifly on 2 rechargable 123's. The only down side is when the battery protection circuit cuts you off without warning. I allways cary a spare battery and ofcourse I always have several other lights on me so I am never completly stranded in the dark.