8AA’s in 2D Mag

WS6mro

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Sense there seems to be quite a few people interested in putting 8AA's inside a 2D mag,
I thought I would show everyone how I did it. Of course sadly this cannot be done without having a Lathe and a pretty long boring bar…..sorry.
frown.gif

fcbe4390.jpg

I first bored the Mag body out until I just touched the top of the rear cap threads. If I can recall, it turned out to be a 1.395 hole.

Then I purchased two Dorcy Boss flashlights. These lights use a 4AA holder that fits perfectly in my newly bored out mag body. Yes I bought 2 flashlights just for the battery holder, but they can be found for $3.49 including batteries.

Lastly, add alittle solder blob on one end of the holder for positive contact, slide in batteries (in my case rechargeable), add your bulb or LED (5d bulb for me) and then your pretty much done.

You can also fit three of these holders (12AA's) in a 3D Mag if desirable.

Hope this is of some use.

Matt

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try looking at some other battery holders like the ones from Rat Shak?

You've inspired me to try some experiments now.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt-I just measured the inside diameter of a three cell Brinkman; I got 1.375" on the threads. What is the outside diameter of the 4AA holder at it's widest point ?

I'm an electrical dummy, but the 8aa's in series would give 12 volts; the five D cell bulb is rated for 7.5 volts ? Are you overdriving the bulb that much ?

Ross

Enlightened
WS6mro,
Could you do me a favour with your newly bored out 2D m@glite? Could you measure the internal length of the flashlight? just put a ruler into the barrel & read the length off for me could you?? I need to know for a project I'm planning. I already have a 3D and I need to know whether I can fit my bits & pieces into a 2D as well.
Much appreciated

Ross

WS6mro

Newly Enlightened
Johnk,

I just measured the holder with Batt's and it comes out to around 1.373" so it might be tight.

Yes 8AA which are in series give 12 volts, but I'm running 1.2 volt rechargeable (9.6 volts).
I originally wanted to use a 6D bulb but could not find one at the time. The 5D bulb has been going strong for 3 months now but maybe I'm just lucky?

Webley445,

I do have some Radio shack holder's but don't fit.

Rothrandir,

Yes they are in series (9.6 volts).

Bowser,

Sure, I'll measure it when I get home tonight, unless someone else beats me to it.

-Matt

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only AA holders you can fit inside a Mag body without boring it out are the triangular ones that Electrolumens has on his store. He posted recently that he had a few left but was expecting a big order to come in soon. I have never found these at any regular or catalog or internet retailer, they can only be ordered in bulk from the manufacturer.

The radio shack 8AA holder doesn't even come close to fitting into the Mag
frown.gif

But, the 6 cell ones that Electrolumens has are only a couple of bucks, so worth the experiment. I've been meaning to do that myself at some point!

WS6mro

Newly Enlightened
Bowser,

Almost forgot, the length of the 2D mag tube from where the battery stops to the edge of the tube is 5 3/4"

Hope this helps.

-Matt

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by James S:
The only AA holders you can fit inside a Mag body without boring it out are the triangular ones that Electrolumens has on his store. He posted recently that he had a few left but was expecting a big order to come in soon. I have never found these at any regular or catalog or internet retailer, they can only be ordered in bulk from the manufacturer.

The radio shack 8AA holder doesn't even come close to fitting into the Mag
frown.gif

But, the 6 cell ones that Electrolumens has are only a couple of bucks, so worth the experiment. I've been meaning to do that myself at some point!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just noticed this thread. I purchased a bunch of these holders, thinking I was going to use them in a flashlight I'm going to be selling. I am selling the holder and connector, as shown in this photo.

6AA.2X3.4.jpg

The connector can attach to the switch holder. You'll have to remove the switch holder to use this part. For a Mag there is a special tool to do this. You can epoxy something in the tube to keep the holder from turning. The tailcap will push the battery up to the connectors for a good electrical contact.

You cannot go 12 volts, but 9 volts.

I have the parts on my shopping cart.

Wayne J.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Tater Rocket:
Wayne, I already have 4 of the holders...are just the connectors available? I couldn't find them on your site, and don't know how to get to your cart.

Spud
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can go to my website, and to the products for sale page, and click 'buy it now'.

Anyway, here's a link:

Elektro Lumens Shopping Cart

If you check my cart now, you'll see a photo of the battery holder with the connector.

Email me.

[email protected]

Wayne J.