U2 and unprotected 18650s (fitment question)

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
I just got my U2 a few days ago, just got the plastic insert out last night, and just finished charging my new LG 2400mAh 18650s. On sliding a battery into the light I notice that the positive end of the battery is pretty exposed and flat (no button like on a protected cell), and I also note that around the inside of the bezel there's a metal ledge which I *assume* is in the ground path. Is anyone worried about the positive end of the 18650 touching that ledge and making a kaboom? I've just eyeballed it, so I don't know how close they really are to each other when the bezel is screwed back onto the battery tube. :candle:

greenLED

Flashaholic
mikeymoto said:
Is anyone worried about the positive end of the 18650 touching that ledge and making a kaboom? I've just eyeballed it, so I don't know how close they really are to each other when the bezel is screwed back onto the battery tube. :candle:
Yes, and that's why you should never-ever use a magnet to make the (+) end of the battery taller! Stretching the spring on the head just a *tiny* little bit will fix any contact problems. Don't overstretch it, or you'll compress the cell and... :poof: :(