Maglite 6D tales

Illum

Flashaholic
I bought this light simply because its the longest flashlight still in circulation [I wanted a 12C Kel-lite but I dunno where I can put it if I got one], any one out there with interesting stories about their 6D maglites?

Lets keep this clean, no mentioning of clubbing or usage of anything near that....ty

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I found a couple at a local store the other day and had the same thoughts...just wanted to get one "because it's so long". Still haven't purchased it yet though, maybe I'll watch this thread to "get convinced".

I just thought it would look cool over my computer table?

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only seen one once, and at the time i wasn't interested in it. Anything larger than 4D and 2C is really hard to find.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dormed at my college campus where there were stories circulating about students being accosted at night as they walked from dorm to dorm, to the library, etc.

Being an infant flashaholic back then, I bought the biggest and baddest Maglite I could, the 6D (this is back when I thought Maglites were the end-all). I marked the light by stenciling my initials around the tube between the head and switch.

So one night I'm walking a female friend from my dorm to hers, drop her off, and on my way back a campus copper lights me up with his police car spotlight and tells me to stop walking over the PA. I'm like ummm, okay. (This wouldn't be the first time I've had "problems" with the campus po-po, but this time I honestly didn't think I was doing anything wrong.)

So officer McKay, yes I still remember his name as we were practically bunk mates for my freshman year, says he wants to check out my flashlight. He says it in a friendly way, like "Say where'd you get that?" I hand him the light, he takes it to the cruiser, measures it, and proceeds to tell me that he could arrest me for having a BILLY CLUB. I was like, yeah right dude, gimme back my flashlight. After a few back-and-forths he said he'd let me off without an arrest or citation but would have to confiscate the light. Not being in the mood to see the inside of the Cal Poly Pomona holding cell again, I agreed.

The following year there was a disturbance call in my dorm building, and officer McKay responded. I heard the hubbub from my room, which was the closest to the lobby, and McKay was "aggressively interviewing" a drunk student in the lobby with like 50 onlookers. I poked my head out and saw him shining a 6D Maglite in the guy's eyes.

Guess which identifying marks were on it??

dyyys1

Enlightened
Gosh, that is really frustrating! Did you ever look up the regulations to see if your light really was illegal? Not that you could make him give it back after this much time.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Well, not an _interesting_ story, but it's what I got: Ten or twelve years ago, or so, I was working on a particular automobile, a lot, trying to keep it a-going, so that I could continue to drive it around. (!!!) It was a '77 Chrylser New Yorker with a 440 motor. A really HEAVY car. It crushed the driveway where it parked. So anyway, appropriate for such a rediculously huge car, I bought a black 6D mag at the time, for use in and around the car, and used it as a 'beater-light' by any definition you can think of.. I used it all the time and left it lying around, here and there, left it under the car, left it out in the rain, even DROVE over it a few times, all kinds of things... I can't believe I still have that; it's quite beat up now, but continues to work to this day!! on the original bulb even. That's it; that's my tale!

quokked

Enlightened
I brought a Mag Light 6D just before I went on summer camp, i was a camp counseller in the UK.
The camp i went to was in the sticks and i decided i needed the most Badass mag money could buy (it cost me like 32 GBP with the batteries).
I brought that along with my Inova X5.
The camp brought a whole heap of cheap torches that all broke so mine was the lights the night staff used.
One night I was shining the light round the grounds and spotted a couple of the teenage kids getting very friendly on a bench well at the end of the camp, any other light the camp had couldn't have thrown that far.
I might have just prevented another camp pregnancy with the throw of hte mag 6D :grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic
hiluxxulih said:
I am going to get one pretty soon . they are hard to find around here .

Tried ACE hardware?
unless your out of the states, then I dunno

scott.cr said:

:lolsign: nice!

dyyys1 said:
Gosh, that is really frustrating! Did you ever look up the regulations to see if your light really was illegal? Not that you could make him give it back after this much time.

hes probably having fun with it still....College regulations are meant to be flexible...however, not all security guards believe its flexible...
I bring a 3D mag with led in the minivan [no, I'm not a truck driver, I'm a minivan driver] and a Stanley multitool on me, knives and such...so far no problems

geepondy said:
Are they any brighter then a 3D Mag?

For the first 2 minutes or so...:lolsign:
depends on which bulb you use, I've installed the 6D magnum xenon in mine and the throw was a :wow: I dont know how long that will last tho...

Thanks for the Stories Guys!
I heard all mag 6Ds were serialed, mines D6001761075 FYI

Illum

Flashaholic
DonShock said:
I made a rifle out of mine: MagHK

I saw that, too cool to miss, now if I can get my hands on some stock airsoft parts, Ill make my own 6D rifle, thanks for the idea

Get a mounting rail and attach a Surefire X200 to it... emphasizing the irony that the little light is actually brighter than the 6D mag..:lolsign:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
scott.cr said:
, and officer McKay responded. I heard the hubbub from my room, which was the closest to the lobby, and McKay was "aggressively interviewing" a drunk student in the lobby with like 50 onlookers. I poked my head out and saw him shining a 6D Maglite in the guy's eyes.

nuttzee frickin pig!!! hope some crack head wastes this scumbag!
taking assests without cause or warrant goes back to the year 1215 ,the Magna Carta.
fascism got 100 milion people killed in ww2 , sad to see it's still alive and well !
ps

6 D maglites are hard to find

Last edited:

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
gee,for many years mine has been quietly standing on the floor next to the headboard of my bed,getting clicked on now and then to check the batteries.

LNL40

Newly Enlightened
I bought my dad a black 6D mag when I was in the Army. He is a small guy so he always carried some kind of club or pipe in the truck. So I replaced it with a pipe of equal size that just happen to have a bulb and batteries in it. He loved it. It's 16 years old I think, and a little beat up, but he still uses it every day to walk the grandkids home or feed the dog.

reddragon7660

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup:I bought my Mega Mag aka 6D a while ago and since i am a truckdriver i wanted something that could take a beating. I did a minor mod and added some reflective tape used to tag trailers. it is reflective red and white so if i am working people can see my light before they see me. I also noticed no talks about the 4D mag led. i put one in my 6D no problems so far. maybe i will put a heatsink on it someday and mod the tar out of it.

Bushman5

Enlightened
I used to work with a guard, in his 60's, VERY old school security guard, had all the bells and whistles on his duty belt, guy was all of 120 lbs and 6' tall, looked like Barney Fife.

Guy had not one...no..not one...but TWO big 6D black maglites and would haveone in the belt, and one in the hand. He was'nt impressed with the little magcharge i had, "thats too short Sonny, you's best git one like mine, no one messes with you when oyur packing a 6D mag"

yea...no one messes with you because their too busy rolling on the floor laughing their asses off Barney!!! :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup: