Has anyone done a runtime test on a 6D Maglite with Nite Ize LED bulb yet?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
All this talk of hurricane/inclement weather preparedness, combined with a rather intense, but short lived thunderstorm this morning got me thinking....

i have a Nite Ize PR based LED in my 6D Mag's tailcap, not exactly a bright bulb, but puts out a servicable amount of light, i'd been thinking of it mainly as an emergency backup bulb for when the stock incan burns out

maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way here....
i already have lights that equal, if not surpass the 6D Mag in brightness, throw, and *usability*, the 6D is no longer the "barnburner" it was before i became a Flashaholic, it's basically become a paperweight/battery holder

i don't have the skills or money to mod it into a ROP/photon cannon, so i figure i'll go the opposite way and go for runtime, dropping the NI PR bulb in as the main bulb....

anyone done a runtime test on the NI in a 6D?, how many days/weeks are we looking at here?

dragoman

Enlightened
On flashlightreviews, Quickbeam did a runtime test using a 3D Mag with the Nite-Ize PR bulb......after 24 hrs, the output dropped 3%.....

I guess you could extrapolate that with the 6D.......I'd guess a month or two.

dragoman

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
A basic ROP build isn't terribly hard. Here's the list:

Bulb and lens from LightHound
Reflector from fivemega
6 D NiMHs from AmondoTech
Vanson BC1HU "Speedy Box" from AmondoTech

It's a bit costly at around $130-140, but put it all together, and it should be pretty nice. You can even keep the Nite-Ize in the tailcap for when the D cells are too empty for the incan, or just for extra runtime.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bror Jace said:
I don't think anyone here plans to live that long. ;)

Hahaha

Yeah, if anybody does plan a test, go ahead and have a will drawn up stating that the test light gets left on and sent to a fellow CPF'er.

Supernam

Enlightened
Well, flashlightreviews.com added the 4D to the test and it went fourty-something hours on the MagLight brand led. I think if the 6D was tested, the lightmeter might run out of batteries first!