Fenix P1 battery sucker test

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I figured since i have a small quantity of used and "dead" batteries, i'd put my new P1 to a test

i started off with a battery that ZTS'ed at 40%, 2.87V on my DMM, i dropped it in expecting a relatively dim, weak beam....

nope, nice and bright, maybe this P1 is more efficient than i thought....

i decided to give it a *real* challenge, i fed it one of my "dead" batteries (ZTS'ed at 0%, voltage test 2.65V), i turned it on, not expecting *any* light.....

nice and bright, a *tad* dimmer than new, but about the brightness of an L1P on a fresh cell, maybe a tad brighter

hmm, let me track down my "deadest" battery, hold on....

that one *is* the deadest, okay, time for a runtime test, starting at 9 PM, i'll run this battery, a battery testing at 2.65V, ZTS'ed at 0%, until the P1 stops producing usable light...

12 minutes in, 9:12 PM, brightness down to the low setting on my L1, light beginning to flicker, still trying hard, voltage test reads 1.45V

test continues...

Last edited:

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
MacTech said:
hmm, let me track down my "deadest" battery, hold on....

that one *is* the deadest, okay, time for a runtime test, starting at 9 PM, i'll run this battery, a battery testing at 2.65V, ZTS'ed at 0%, until the P1 stops producing usable light...

or you hear a small *boom* from the CR123 battery exploding. :drool:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Randy Shackleford said:
or you hear a small *boom* from the CR123 battery exploding. :drool:

Heh, i know you were probably joking, but just in case the light *does* decide to pop, i've put it on a ceramic plate with a heavy pilsner glass on top of it, and a heavy weight on top of the glass....

safety first :)

9:20 PM, light barely lit, about the intensity of a stock Minimag Solitaire, still flickering, we won't have too much longer to go.....

9:30 PM, light no longer producing *useful* light, test is officially over, 1/2 hour runtime off a "dead" battery, the first 20 minutes or so being actual *usable* light....

not too bad for a power-hungry 3W Lux...

final battery charge level 1.19V

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
BBL said:
How should that happen with a single-cell light?

Only two celled lights have this problem from unbalanced cells and one cell going
negative from the other cell pushing current into it! :)

Thats why I like single cells :)

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
i fed my Fenix P1 dead surefire batteries which came out from a SL TL-3 incan that read 0% using zts tester. Each of them lasted pretty much about 20 minutes also.... well, i put one dead surefire cell in my Fenix L2P w/ cr123a tube and i got about 10 minutes of use out of it.