Pelican 2390 (3W LED) - What Am I Missing?

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican 2390 (3W HA LED) looks like the holy grail of 2cr123 lights:
  • Hard anodized
  • Flashlight Reviews 52 throw (top of the class for LED lights of its type)
  • Good price, compared to many alternatives (Esp. Surefire)
  • Comes with nice sheath
  • 4.5 * from Flashlight Reviews
  • And on top of all that, its good looking
Why isn't it more popular? Is it the relatively low overall output (35 Overall Output). Or is it something else?

Seems like this would be a great light for fun in the dark!

Galiphrey

Enlightened
No argument from me! You forgot to mention that the regulation is very good and that it can run on Li-Ions, too. Occasionally I see someone mention that the threads are rough, but just use some lubricant and then they're fine. It's a beefy light, which could be considered a positive or negative... I agree that it's an attractive design. There's only one output level. I think a "holy grail" would have to have multi-levels. But it's definitely a great light for the money! The reflector is excellent. The lens is not glass, but that can be remedied.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Illumination said:
[*]Flashlight Reviews 52 throw (top of the class for LED lights of its type)

Take a look at the Striker VG; FR has its throw rated at 82.76. Competitive price, also hard anodized, multilevels... also rated as 4.5 stars.

frisco

Enlightened
I've had a 2390 for about a week...... nice light!!!!

There seems to be three kinds of folks here on CPF: Throw monsters, Floodies and Bi.

The beam shape on the 2390 is more of a tighter spot throw monster.

All in all, I'm keeping mine,

frisco

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Galiphrey - The Led Logic looks impressive; I'll check it out. Thanks.

I'm still thinking about the Pelican. One of my first great lights as a kid was a Pelican PeliLight - loved it.

Last edited:

faucon

Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
can it m6 run on 18650?
No---but Quickbeam reports that it *does* work with Pila 600S cells, although at 90% of the output it has with primaries. Still, that's pretty good.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pila 600S cells are just protected 17670 Li-ions and can be bought for about $10 from AW or Lighthound.com. The DSD charger works great with these.

The Peli is a very nice light and if I didn't have a HDS and U2 I would probably have bought one. The lack of a second lower level is really what prevented me from buying. For me the big advantage of using leds is that they can be run at low levels for great runtimes while still being bright on high.

TENNlumens

Newly Enlightened
I think for price, output, beam color, and body design, it is a great LED light!
So far, other than my L4, this is among my favorite LED's.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my Pel 2390 for about a month and a half now (...it's the second one I've owned), and I'll definitely be keeping this one! The first one I had had some EXTREMELY rough threads, and badly mismatched color on the anodizing of the different sections. The one I have now has threads that are MUCH smoother, and just a slight difference in the anodizing on the different sections. The Striker VG does have better (rated) throw; but if I'm not mistaken, that light uses an optic, and the throw comes at the cost of very little useable sidespill. With the exception of my LED modded Mags, my Pel M6 is one of the best throwing LED lights I own, and the beam is flawless! It's a little "beefier" than some folks may care for, but I like the way it feels in my hand...VERY solid, and just "substantial" enough. I run AW's protected RCR123's in mine, and get between 45 and 50 minutes of max output on a full charge. After lights have been around for a while, the "hype" kinda dies down, and is replaced by hype for the "NEXT" new kid on the block...but that doesn't diminish it's usefulness or quality IMHO. I don't think the Pel M6 2390 is under-hyped OR under-appreciated; it's just not the new kid on the block anymore, so the interest has sorta "wained". Regardless, it's a VERY good light with VERY good performance, and it's still holding it's it's own with all the new lights hitting the streets!

PJD

BBL

Enlightened
Are the M6 variants internally the same?

Could someone post pictures how the M6 2390 looks internalls?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
all pm6s are interchangable... the incand module and lux1 module fit and work perfectly. Mine is good.... doesnt get as much use do to me having a u2 (go figure).... but it has good lux, and i let my friends use it for manhunt ( i get the u2 ).

-David