AI & HF Share Bad Chargers

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or so it seems. My experience with both AI & HF HIDs mirrors the problems of other owners. The chargers in both units behave differently at different times. Most often mine will continue to charge (red LED) and not switch off after a reasonable voltage or time is attained. Other times they both detect proper end-charge and the greenie lights up.

The AI's charge state indicator LEDs must be wired differently in different lights given the experience some have had. Mine, for example, does not seem have the two green LEDs wired in parallel. I believe I remember them operating independently but will be watching this closely.

I'll have to pay close attention to line voltage, as was suggested, to see if a pattern of improper charging is related to this - if, in fact, any pattern can be determined.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only thing holding me back from getting this lights is the charger...

Then again I guess I can't be expecting a good charger...After it was about $40 for my battery tender plus to charge the small lead acid on my ATV.

I guess I could wire up a plug to charge it right from the battery tender? Then It would charge in hours and I would not have to worry about overcharge either...

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
jay is the charger actualy inside the light? If so how hard would it be to bypass it?

I see smaller battery tenders on ebay all the time for like $20. I don't expect a $135 HID to have a $50 charger in it, but the $20 charger might be feasable to some?