Rattlesnake I came across today.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a year and half ago I start a thread about a Rattlesnake that just about got me but fortunately didn't. I was heading up Four Peaks just east of Phoenix today and came across this not so little guy. This could have been a bad day.

I have been told that in Arizona you should kill Rattlesnakes when you come across them because there are so many in the state but as much as I hate snakes I could not do it. This snake can be incredible hard to see when it's in the rocks.

snake3.jpg

Link to oversized pic...

snake4.jpg

Snake2.jpg

Snake1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
NICE pics! Reminds me of my 6 years of life & desert treks while living in Phoenix & Glendale! Thanks...

I've eaten rattlesnake (not bad) and have a few tanned skins & rattles.
Depending on where the snakes were found determined whether they lived or not!

There's a company out of Texas I think that sold a 1 step tanning solution. Rinse the skin in Woolite, then using straight pins - stretch the skin out on a board/cardboard and brush on the solution. I forget how long it takes, but not too long. Then the skin can be used on hat bands, belts, buckles...I always wanted to trim a bow rack {archery} with them.

If anyone ever does kill one, be careful of the head. A scratch from the fangs can be just like a snakebite with venom. I typically buried the heads.

BTW, I linked the 2nd pic as it was oversized...feel free to shrink the width & repost.

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Lebkuecher said:
I have been told that in Arizona you should kill Rattlesnakes when you come across them because there are so many in the state but as much as I hate snakes I could not do it.

I don't like snakes either (luckily there are very few here in the netherlands), but killing them seems a bit crude...

How would you kill something like that anyway? I think trying to kick it to death might be a bad idea...

I think it's better not to kill it at all...

Last edited:

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you didn't kill it either. Just think that when you're in their area, their home, they should get a free pass. It's not like it was getting ready to hop on a bus and go into town to go bite someone.

Woods

Newly Enlightened
Beauty! We have a large population of Timber Rattlers around here....magnificent creatures!!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Terrific photos. I agree, unless it's "asking for it" there's no point in killing someting like that. I've been a huge fan of snakes since I was a little kid, although maybe since there isn't much in the way of dangerous ones up here.

MayCooper: Shovel, machete, bat, shotgun, etc.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Lets hope the next person to come across it isn't a child who doesn't know not to try to handle it.

Edit to add:
I know 3 people who have been bitten by rattlesnakes. All of them were bitten without warning and none of them even knew the snake was there.

I have come across more than a dozen rattlesnakes and only one (the biggest one) rattled to warn me of his presence.

Last edited:

lukus

Enlightened
I'll see one once or twice a year around here. If it's too close to the house I'll put it in a bucket and take it to the back of the property. They almost always give warning, but I was taught at an early age to watch where I walk when out and about. Saw several large (4' to 5 1/2') king snakes this spring and a coach whip in addition to the regular garters and corn snakes. I appreciate that you didn't kill it, especially since you were in his territory.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Unless I EDC a machete, I'm guessing I'd probably go ahead and let him live too... well either way snakes are ok in my book.
Cool pics!

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics. That thing is almost invisible unless yuo're looking for it. Glad you weren't bit. That would've sucked.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I wanted to post the other day but I needed time to think about it.
So I think after much thought I have to go with the Yes kill it. It is a snake that can take a human life, that was easy for me now the tough part.
I am going with Olive Oil at about 325 degrees alot of garlic and dried Habenero powder, egg wash and corn meal. I know BBQ sauce is a natural pick for a rattlesnake but this "snake Scampi ala Topper" is good eats.
Topper :)
We aren't talking puppies and kittens folks
Rattlesnakes are not your pal.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Unless I was armed with a minimum of a Pole Axe (we used to carry them surveying in East Texas swamp land). Killed a couple Copperheads, but I don't recall that I've ever seen a Rattler.

Those are awesome pics, and that dude is camaflodged pretty good!

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your post Topper LOL

I've always enjoyed nature and believe if everyone left the places they visit the same as they found it then there would be a lot more to enjoy. Don't get me wrong if this snake was in a school yard or a neighborhood with children I would have either killed it or tried to catch it and move it somewhere else.

To give a better idea of where I was I'm going to post a couple of pictures of the area the snake was in. As you can see I was in his environment so I don't think that there is much danger to other people.

BTW I shrank these pictures to 800X600 according to IRFAN VIEW. I think these should be the proper size for the CPF. If anyone has something better PLEASE let me know.

IMG_0873a.jpg

IMG_0871a.jpg

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been told that the larger rattlesnakes are not aggressive and won't use their venom unless they have to, while the little ones are more skittish and don't know when to use and not use venom. So the bigger ones won't mess with you unless you mess with them or really startle them.

Now I've heard that other snakes, such as the cottonmouth, are different.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
BEAUTIFUL pics Lebkuecher - THANK YOU!! Memories for sure!
(Our sons were born in Glendale - we've still got family in Apache Jct. & Mesa but haven't been back for years.)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pix, they bring back memories for me too. I went to grad school in Glendale, '91-'92, and really miss the desert sometimes.

-LT

BladeZealot

Enlightened
Beautiful pics!! Thank you!! My family would go to Arizona every summer while I was a teenager to visit my Sister and Brother-in-law. Many great memories from Carr Canyon in the Huachucas...caught my first snake on the machine gun range at Ft. Huachuca :D
{My bro-in-law was a civilian wildlife biologist for the military}:)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Years ago I was standing in some woods next to the house with an old cat at my feet. He suddenly took off running for no apparent reason. Looking closely around my feet I found a very small/baby Copperhead. I let it go even though it had bitten the cat. Some hours later we were heading to the after-hours vet clinic with a sad cat with a swollen paw. He was okay after a couple shots.

Geoff