i was offended today

raggie33

*the raggedier*
went to dog pound and a dog barked at me. i dont care if humans dont like me but dogs i care

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
He (?) could have been saying "No garlic-eaters allowed" or even "Your fly's open."

Years ago, my pup often gave "the look." You know, the one that clearly says "Yeah, right / Yo momma!"

Hard to tell, sometimes. :grin2:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's not like the dog can converse in English is it? 🤣

Screenshot_20230716-023058_DuckDuckGo.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those pounds do not really make it simple nor easy to adopt, About 20 or more ago we wanted to adopt a kitten, we went to a pound. they made us fill more paper than i did for a house mortgage, then they wanted to know everything about our lives, criminal record, credit history, even driving record, idk why they needed all of that, than we waited few hours for them to approve us, then they told us they can only give us 2 kittens, not 1, and we can not separate them, also we have to allow them to inspect our home at any time, to see how cats are doing and what conditions they live in. We got up and left, it felt as if they were trying to do anything to make us change our mind and not adopt from them. on our way from the pound we bought a local newspaper, in classifieds we found an add, "giving kittens away free" so we called, 30 min later we had a month old kitten. free, no questions asked. from what I heard from others this behavior is pretty common. Neither me nor anyone in my family will never adopt from a pound. Especially now when identity theft is a serious issue.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
went to dog pound and a dog barked at me. i dont care if humans dont like me but dogs i care
Honestly, dogs are like people. Some of them will just despise you for no reason at all. I've mentioned this before on CPF. I had one woman who wanted to stop dating me, until I went by her place. She realized her dog liked me.... so she kept dating me. Another woman broke up with me literally because her dog didn't like me. Only reason. Before I left, I asked her what she'd do when one day she gets married to a guy her dog likes. She gets pregnant by her new husband. Gives birth. But her dog ends up disliking her newborn baby.

What are you going to do then?

Walked out, left her literally speechless as her brain tried to process that horrifying scenario.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a dame dump me one time because her dog would sit when I said "sit" but would not when she did. I was a threat to her throne so I had to go. Nope she preferred a fellow who saw her as the boss and when her dog saw me as "his" boss, that was bad. She also had an unruley St Bernard that hated everybody. One evening when I went to visit she released the St Bernard on me. She was mad about something her boss had done that day. So I had this 200# animal with a mind of its running toward me all snarling and frothing at the mouth. I hollered out "STOP!!" Suddenly the dog halted and approached like I was its best buddy, tail all wagging like.

Dogs are pack animals and somebody has to be the leader of the pack. Sometimes a dog does not want the human to be "it's" leader.

Another trait with dogs is they are territorial so when they see someone near or in their territory they react by barking. It's their way of saying "3' circle, stay away". It's why they bark at the mail man, garbage collector or other strangers.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those pounds do not really make it simple nor easy to adopt, About 20 or more ago we wanted to adopt a kitten, we went to a pound. they made us fill more paper than i did for a house mortgage, then they wanted to know everything about our lives, criminal record, credit history, even driving record, idk why they needed all of that, than we waited few hours for them to approve us, then they told us they can only give us 2 kittens, not 1, and we can not separate them, also we have to allow them to inspect our home at any time, to see how cats are doing and what conditions they live in. We got up and left, it felt as if they were trying to do anything to make us change our mind and not adopt from them. on our way from the pound we bought a local newspaper, in classifieds we found an add, "giving kittens away free" so we called, 30 min later we had a month old kitten. free, no questions asked. from what I heard from others this behavior is pretty common. Neither me nor anyone in my family will never adopt from a pound. Especially now when identity theft is a serious issue.
@alpg88 I've been dog shopping for months now. My experience with pounds is a lot like yours. I've come to hate the pounds. They put people through so many hoops trying to weed out the bad apples, they turn off potential good pet owners. When I finally decide to get a dog, I'll either buy one from a breeder or get one off Craig's List or something. I'm done with pounds, they can "pound sand" for all I care.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There are rescue groups you can obtain dogs (or cats or parrots or ferrits etc) from but they too have rules to follow.

I adopted a dog one year that had been a bait dog. He was half lab and half Dane. His head was too big for his body so the owner used him to get their fighting pitbulls whipped into a frenzy. Needless to say he did not like pitbulls. Great dog otherwise and his body eventually grew round enough to match his head. I had to promise this and that in order to obtain the guy but again, he was an awesome dog who loved kids, tolerated the mailman and made a great security guard.

When the neighbor behind us got a pitbull it was dicey at first but eventually they became pals and played along the fence each day.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not care for all the rules rescues and pet adoption agencies enforce.
This past February our 14 Year old Rotty/sheepdog/pitbull cross needed to be put to sleep.
He had cancer, hemolytic anemia, a genetic skin condition, and was deaf. He was not having
good times as when he was younger, and it just was time to end his suffering.
We had no money so we approached the county local humane society for help.
Those *******s called my vet behind my back without consent, asking all sorts of questions,
trying to get anybody they could in trouble. Luckily all our animals are under my wife's name,
not mine. I then proceeded to the next counties shelter, while I wasn't greeted with open arms,
they got why I was there. They helped us. Rudy the dog had already bitten 4 people previously,
and was a cranky old fart. One time I was away my wife needed the furnace fixed, and he barked
for 4 straight hours. Furnace guy says, there's something wrong with that dog.

@ IMA SOL MAN
We got tired of trying to find a local shelter dog and deal with the problems of the dogs and
the problems with the adopters. We actually found a legitimate breeder online! There are 10 to 1
odds it's a real breeder and not a scammer. It was not cheap, but we got 2 road delivered
pure breed puppies who are both doing excellent. I'd say check craigslist, and call a few
boarding/grooming facilities to let them know You would like to adopt.