UK AutoExpress Car 12 Torch Test

benp1

Newly Enlightened
Didn't realise they had it online. I posted something about this on BritishBlades cos i saw this in the magazine. They had the worst selection of torches, i was very disappointed. The MiniMag won, which to be fair with fresh batteries in is pretty good. They did however forget to point out that after a very short while it will become completely useless!

Disappointing

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
They had the worst selection of torches

And that is putting it kindly!
ohgeez.gif

CFU

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I'd expect some headlamps in a test like this. As they specifically mention roadside repairs, the first cheap *** headlamp that comes along beats any of these at useability...

Completely idiotic criteria too... The droptest I can understand, but spread of light from 4m distance?? when was the last time you shone your light from 4 meters distance to change a tire (or wheel actually) ?? Adjustable beam gets point too... To me, an adjustable beam is just compensation for a lights shortcomings...

In a test for a light to keep in your car I'd want some completely different criteria:
- hands free (headlamp/free standing with ability to direct beam/magnet base)
- dimmable for close up work
- good flood
- beacon glow/strobe mode
- waterproof (my car only breaks down in pouring rain)
- rechargeable on 12v/ability to run from car battery or at least running on batteries available at the most gas stations.
- Led for durability

Also some of the comments in the article just make me want to curl up in a corner and cry:

on the Duracell Voyager:
...it was very bright indeed... (if that's bright, then what do they call dim?)

on the Mini Mag:
...It was one of the top performers... (can't even come up with a witty comment on this)

on the Police Tech Focus:
...The ultra-bright LED gives off a fantastic bluey light – similar to that delivered by cars' xenon lamps... (From a car magazine? they should know that they're HID and that they're white)

on the Homebase Plastic Torch:
...While the beam was wide, it wasn't very focused... (OMG, did they actually publish that??)

on the Laser Flexi Torch:
...The clever flexible shaft meant you could see around corners... (so if I get this light I can completely ignore the laws of optics?)

Last edited:

cloud

Newly Enlightened
In agreement somewhat with maycooper.. A waste of newspaper IMO..
:ohgeez: :ohgeez:

thanks for the link abvid.

cloud