TWOJ trilux help

van1

Newly Enlightened
I'm building a trilux in a 2 C host using 2x18650 protected cells and 3-TXOJs. Can anyone tell me what resistor value I will need or if I can just run this without one. And how should i wire the stars in parallel or series?
Thanks,

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im building a similar Tri lux, instead ill be running a fatman at 950ma and run the lux in series. Using TV1J, Should be bright! Good luck on your end!
-bobby

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Van1,

Each lux will need V of approximately 3.5V. Each liion can only supply 3.6V. I assumed by using Mag 2C, you are connecting the batteries in series, which resulted in V of 7.2V - 7.4V
If you are connecting the lux in paralel, you gonna need a big *** load of resistor to help limit the current, otherwise you going to blow your luxes. Or a better way is to have a buck converter that will regulate the current to the luxes.

However, since the Vf of the luxeons might not be the same (even though they are from the exact same bin code), it is better to actually connect the luxeons in series.
If you do that, the total needed voltage would be approximately 11V. Clearly this is more than what your 2 liion in series can provide. Therefore, you need a step up/ boost converter to help bring up the voltage.

Fatman is a nice step up converter. I used one and I really like it. You can use external trimpot to adjust the current flow :D.
Dat2Zip is supposedly coming up with a new converter, the SHARK, and that would also do the trick.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another possibility could be, you build a Quad lux and connect 2(parallel)x2 leds in series, secure them with resistors (link above) and connect the batts in series.
This is an easy and safe way for a DD light in this case.

Edit: For this configuration you need 1 resistor:1 ohms, 1,2 watts for each pair of leds, driven at 900mA.

Best regards

____
Tom

Last edited:

van1

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replys. I think maybe I'll have to use the fatman, sounds like the best option.

Last edited:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easier still, just make do with a 3c host and direct drive parallel all 3 leds.
I have built several 3c's with ***J binned leds, running on nimh rechargeable batteries with very good success.
The current that the leds will pull from the batteries sags thier voltage enough to match the voltage requirements of the individual leds.

If you want the 2c form factor with 18650's,
3 WWOT stars, or emitters from photonfanatic also ought to do it.
Again, direct drive parallel wired with maybe a 2-5 watt rated, .25 ohm resistor on this one.
Or just squish in 4 Lux5 stars with so20's and run pure direct drive to have a Mini-Monster-Quad of your own. :wow:
But this will take some more precise work and careful patience to pull it off.

Good luck. ;)